The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 3:23pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
point to point ringing in some integration methods (Read 2425 times)
jefkat
Community Member

point to point ringing in some integration methods
Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:54am

Hi..
      I am trying to understand why would some integration methods result in ringing (especially when the time constants are smaller than the time step). Intutively thinking I would miss some signal detail (due to fast poles) but downright ringing !! cant seem to make sense of it..Anyone with some commenst to put me on the right track of thinking?

Thanks much!
        jefkat

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Re: point to point ringing in some integration met
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:37pm

Think of an integration algorithm as a difference equation, with an impulse response. You can have underdamped filters like Adams-Bashford which use extrapolation. Implicit methods can reduce the overshoot in the impulse response, while Runge-Kutta will tend to be damped.

Refer to the revered 'Numerical Methods in C' for further illumination.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: point to point ringing in some integration met
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2007, 5:37am

Or for a more accessible book for designers, look at Ken's book http://www.designers-guide.org/Books/#Kundert-1995 A Designer's Guide to SPICE and Spectre, page 150.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.