The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 4:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cascode current source (Read 6523 times)
Croaker

cascode current source
Apr 23rd, 2007, 8:44am

Hi, I'm pretty new to Verilog-AMS and was wondering how I can get a reasonable model of a cascode current source.  I'd like to be able to have a triode and saturated mode, and a suitable output resistance.  I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here, so if a good model exists, please let me know!  Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: cascode current source
Reply #1 - Apr 23rd, 2007, 2:07pm

Right now I'm modeling it as a piecewise linear function...but I'm all ears if there's a better way to model it.  I think I've captured the basic DC Ids vs. Vout curve, although it's pretty approximate around the point where the current starts to saturate.

View Profile   IP Logged
mg777

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2007, 10:08am

I'm curious why you wouldn't use a Spice model. If you're using the cascode in a self-referenced source, then it makes sense to model the start-up circuit behaviorally. But I'd still keep the cascode in Spice.

M.G.Rajan
www.eecalc.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2007, 11:29am

The goal is to replace transistors with a simpler model for faster simulation.  Verilog-A seems most useful when you're modeling a lot of transistors with some equations, but something like UltraSim with simplified transistor models is better for blocks where you want to capture the transistor characteristics.

View Profile   IP Logged
krishnap
Community Member

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2007, 11:51pm

How about using the schematics in spice for normal mode of simulation and
using the tool like AMS designer to compile it , when the faster simulation
is required for the analog blocks?

Regards,
Krishna

View Profile   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #5 - Apr 25th, 2007, 5:00am

Really?  I didn't know the tool could do that.  Right now I'm just typing in the Verilog-A, creating a symbol, and simulating from a schematic as usual.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - May 8th, 2007, 9:46pm

Not sure what Krishnap was trying to say, but a transistor level design won't run any quicker in AMS Designer than it would in spectre (unless you're using Ultrasim as the analog solver). If the solver is the same, it will take a similar time.

The benefit of AMS Designer is when you have mixed-signal models in Verilog-AMS or VHDL-AMS, and pure digital parts in Verilog or VHDL. Then you don't need to simulate everything at transistor level any more...

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2007, 11:09pm

Yeah, I think he was saying there was a way to generate a behavioral model (V-AMS code) given a Spectre netlist.  I have not found any capability like this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #8 - May 9th, 2007, 9:50pm

Actually Cadence has a tool "DCM" which effectively does this. It has a library of templates (which you can extend yourself using OpenDCM) and it characterises the circuit using simulation and fits a behavioural model in Verilog-A/Verilog-AMS to the measured circuit behaviour...

In IC5141 this is an extension to the Virtuoso Specification Driven Environment (sometimes known historically as "Aptivia"), and in IC61X it is part of Virtuoso Analog Design Environment GXL.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Croaker

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2007, 4:50am

Ah, very interesting!  Thanks!  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.