The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 2nd, 2024, 4:16pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spice thermistor... basically a volt var source.. (Read 15237 times)
groundhog

Spice thermistor... basically a volt var source..
May 24th, 2007, 11:25am

I have a simple BJT circuit in LTspice.  I sweep it over temperature and the Ic changes.

So, I want to insert a thermistor (temperature varying resistor) in the collector to counteract the variation in Ic.

So, time to put in a model of a thermistor in for one of my collector resistors.

But, the way to model a thermistor in Spice is to create a voltage controlled voltage source that creates a voltage that would be seen across the equivalent resistor that you are replacing.  So if the 100 ohm resistor would have made a voltage drop of .1 volts, you just make it so that the voltage source drops .1 volt at the same current.  The circuit doesn't know the diff.

THE PROBLEM:

View Profile   IP Logged
groundhog

Re: Spice thermistor... basically a volt var sourc
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2007, 11:31am

.... (sorry, I hit the wrong key and posted the above without finishing)

THE PROBLEM:
Is that in the descriptions I have seen in the thermistor model, you do a sweep of the control voltage and not temperature.  So, if you want to see what the thermistor does over a range of say 0 to 50 degrees,  you sweep the control voltage from 0 to 50 volts.  You plot and just label the x axis as temperature rather than voltage.

Well,  with the BJT, you have to actually sweep real temperature.  It's model has temperature varying elements in it.

So I am left with sweeping two different things, temperature and control voltage in a nested sweep statement.

I NEED A THERMISTOR MODEL WHERE YOU SWEEP TEMPERATURE NOT VOLTAGE TO MAKE IT CHANGE.

does anyone know of one?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Spice thermistor... basically a volt var sourc
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2007, 8:40am

Why don't you use the TC1 parameter of the resistor to make it temperature dependent?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Cryptonite

Re: Spice thermistor... basically a volt var source..
Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2009, 7:15am

Hi, I know this is an old thread now but I had a similar need & found this board just this week while trying (and failing) to find a solution.

I've now solved it myself  & thought I'd share my solution which is to use an Arbitrary Behavioural Voltage Source combined with a 0V Voltage source as a current sensor like this:

.subckt ntc 1 2 Params: * these  provide sensible defaults
+ R0=10k,
+ Beta=7660,
+ Rpar=1T,
+ t0 = 25,
+ TK = 273.15

* Arbitrary Behavioural Voltage source is used to generate
* Voltage equal to the NTC resistance @ global temp (in °C)
* multiplied by the current passing through it
BTherm 1 3 V = I(Vsense) * R0 *  exp (Beta/(temp + TK) - Beta/(t0 + TK))

* Current sensor
Vsense 3 2 0

Rparallel 1 2 R = Rpar

.ends

If you make this a library, you can then add commercially available Thermistors, e.g.

* Vishay Surface Mount NTC0805E4 series 2k2 @ 25°C
.subckt 2381_615_13222 1 2
x1 1 2 ntc Params: R0=2k2 Beta=3680
.ends

and predefined linearised sensors such as

*Oil Temperature Sensor
.subckt OilTemp 1 2
x1 1 2 ntc Params: R0=50k Beta=1780 Rpar=18k
.ends

or you can just use the select "ntc" as SpiceModel and define the parameters as you need in the LTSpice Component Attribute Editor e.g. Value as "R0=15k" , Value2 as "Beta=4660", SpiceLine as "T0=0", SpiceLine2 as "Rpar=1k5"

The model is obviously a simple one, with no account taken of frequency response, self-heating, etc. but it's much faster to run in LTSpice than the EPCOS ntc models available online.

Hope this is useful to somebody!

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2009, 8:57am

Are you aware of the LTspice users' group at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/LTspice/ ? There you will find an answer to almost every LTspice-related question.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Cryptonite

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2009, 9:37am

Yes, I am aware of the group's existence but I'm not a member. Unfortunately, because of the wide range of available, non-work related groups, Google Groups are generally frowned upon by our corporate network "guardians" (that's the polite word).

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.