The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Sep 2nd, 2024, 2:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to define missing node (Read 1447 times)
krishnap
Community Member

How to define missing node
Jun 06th, 2007, 12:02am

one of the extracted nelist for spectre has the following pattern :

inline subckt pmos (s g d b sub)

MP (2 3 3 0) pmos l=4u w=4u $bulk=bulk

inline subcircuit has 5 nodes and device instance has 4 node and 5th node is at the end as variable.
Spectre simulation gives warning saying it expects 5 nodes and there are 4 nodes.
How to attach the variable to the 5th node in inline subckt ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: How to define missing node
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2007, 2:32pm

Well, that's not valid spectre syntax. You'll have to pass the connection as a connection, not a parameter. Also, I don't think parameters are allowed to have dollar signs in the name.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2007, 4:20am

Andrew -
I'm not entirely sure about the question, but it looks like krishnap has a problem that the netlist has

MP1 (d g s b sub) pmos l=1u w=4u

and the library has

.model pmos bsimsoi type=p ...

where (I'm guessing) the device "bsimsoi" has four fixed terminals and then some optional terminals that are passed to the model evaluation code as parameters.  (As I recall, in the spice3 code, there are up to 3 optional terminals, and there's some funny business in recognizing the tokens as terminals.)  I don't know what model krishnap really has, nor if Spectre has any built-ins that have terminals passed as parameters (it appears that Spectre's bsimsoi has optional terminals but they're inside the parentheses, not passed as parameters).

Or maybe the library has a .subckt definition of pmos.  Do subckts support optional terminals?

-Geoffrey

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
John O Donovan

San Jose, CA
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2007, 4:46am

As Andrew said, the if the subckt definition has 5 terminals, the instance must also have 5 terminals. Even in SPICE this is the rule for subckts.

For older MOS models/BJT models the bulk node could be specified on the MODEL statement and then only 3 terminals specified on the instance (I'm guessing that this was for backward compatibility with a lot of netlists that only had the d g s or c b e connections), but for the SOI type devices, I think that the extra nodes are now passed on the instance line as regular nodes.

Regards
 John

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2007, 6:27am

John O Donovan wrote on Aug 28th, 2007, 4:46am:
For older MOS models/BJT models the bulk node could be specified on the MODEL statement and then only 3 terminals specified on the instance

What was the syntax for that MODEL statement?  Does it use a $ as the original poster did?

It sounds like the extracted netlist now has an extra terminal (presumably, the schematic netlister put out only 3 terminals), and perhaps the poster was trying to use the existing library files with the extracted netlist, perhaps overriding the bulk node in the MODEL statement with the layout node.

But, I'm just guessing, so maybe we'd best wait for the original poster to clarify his question before we try to solve a different problem.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
John O Donovan

San Jose, CA
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2007, 5:11pm

Geoffrey,

SPICE like simulators used to have the BULK model parameter, where you would specify the BULK connection. It think that BJT and older MOS models supported this. There were restrictions, e.g. some models required that the connection be a top-level global node, others didn't. Anyway it didn't have $ in front of it.

Regards,
 John

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.