The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 2:50am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Input Referred Noise (Read 2868 times)
aaron_do
Senior Fellow

Input Referred Noise
Jul 10th, 2007, 8:33pm

Hi all,

are there any instruments to directly measure Input Referred Noise?

thanks,
Aaron

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2007, 11:26pm by aaron_do »  

there is no energy in matter other than that received from the environment - Nikola Tesla
View Profile   IP Logged
greenlinux

UK
Re: Input Referred Noise
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2007, 11:21am

I suspect the best you can hope for is to measure the output noise and divide by the gain of your system. Otherwise you may have a problem with the sensitivity of your noise meter, or the internal noise of the meter being significant cf. the noise you wish to measure.

If you wish, you may consider a 2 port measurement system that has the same structure as a network analyser but measures small signal gain and output noise. It would then divide the latter by the former to provide the input noise. if you did some cool jiggery pokery it may be possible to do this in discrete frequency blocks it would then be possible to plot the data from each frequency segment on a graph and get something approximating a curve of input referred Noise voltage (or current) vs. Frequency. Of course you would have to do some maths on your raw data to produce a Y - axis that reads volts(or amps) per root Hz (or volts^2 (or amps^2)/Hz if you prefer).

I submit this as a theoretical discussion only; I’m not saying it’s a good idea.

James

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.