The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 21st, 2024, 8:51am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to simulate a shift register? (Read 3290 times)
rf_man

how to simulate a shift register?
Aug 31st, 2007, 4:54am

Hello,

As an RF design engineer, I have no experience with digital simulators, and also not quite familiar with digital stuff. I would like to get help from you that how to simulate a shift register. The shift register is an 8-bit register, consiscts of 8 in series connected D-FFs, and the Q output of the 8th D-FF is fed back to the D input of the 1st D-FF. As I know, once a word is write to the register, say 10000000, then the shift register will shift one bit to the right till the right-most bit, and then rotate back to the left most bit...

In the SpectreRF I used vpulse to simulate the register but without feedback, I can see that the bit is shifted to the right, but how to simulate the register with feedback? how to write the initial word into the register, and then let the shift register rotate itself?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: how to simulate a shift register?
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2007, 8:09am

Does your DFF model have a set or reset pin?

You may be able to use initial conditions (ic statement in Spectre).

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rf_man

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:50am

yes, there are set and clear pins. you mean to use the "INITIAL CONDITION PARAMETERS" option in SpectreRF transient option form? How do you set this option then?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2007, 4:53am

I run spectre from the command line; I don't know about the option form.  I would guess you could put
 out=1 fb=0.5
in that box to set node "out" to have an initial condition of 1 volt, etc.

First, try it without feedback, using the ic (rather than the vpulse) to set the first bit of the register and see that it clocks out.  Then try setting a bit in the middle to see how the ic fights with the output of the previous DFF.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.