The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:28pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Check Simulator Settings from within module (Read 3722 times)
Stefan

Check Simulator Settings from within module
Jan 23rd, 2008, 2:55pm

Hi,

does anyone know if it's possible to check the simulator options from within a module ?

In the special case, I need to know the settings of fmax of transient noise in AMS (spectre solver).

Kind regards,

Stefan

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Check Simulator Settings from within module
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2008, 6:54am

Verilog-AMS LRM 2.2 added the $simparam() system function to get values from the simulator; GMIN, for example, is explicitly mentioned.  FMAX is not, so you'd have to check with your simulator vendor and probably request an enhancement.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2008, 2:44pm

An approach that works in Spectre is to define a parameter with the fmax value and pass it to the model and to the relevant option of the transient analysis instance.

Cheers,
Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2008, 6:11am

Marq -
That approach might work OK if you are writing the netlist.  But if you're developing a Verilog-A model for use in other people's simulations, and they use ADE to generate the netlist for Spectre (where ADE is responsible for taking the FMAX value from a box on the GUI form and putting it in the netlist), then I don't think your approach is viable.

-Geoffrey

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2008, 11:42pm

I was hoping that  the $simparam would let me access ANY variable in the Model files used by the underlying spice simulator..
for the LAST project where I needed to get the values of modelfile parameters into the models, I created special subcircuits
in the model files with voltage sources set to the parameter value..
then instantiated those in my model.. and used the voltage connection read the parameter value.
-- in a large design where I might  have many models needing this value it would be quite inefficient.
but it was something that I could do that day with things under my control.

-- now maybe the LRM couldn't tell me about these variables because it relates to a specific simulator function..
but I hopefully simulators will provide more such values..
--
Alternately, I might do something with a netlist pre-processor.. but that might limit the use of something in a corners tool situation.
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.