The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 2:33pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cadence version sync (Read 6207 times)
nxing
Community Member

God help the person
who help themselves

China
cadence version sync
Mar 27th, 2008, 5:18pm

Hi,

I am trying to study the version sync with Cadence, but can not find any documents either online or with Cadence. Can anybody give me a hint where I can find them?

Thanks,

nxing

View Profile   IP Logged
bernd

Munich/Germany
Re: cadence version sync
Reply #1 - Mar 31st, 2008, 3:51am

How about,

<install_dir>/doc/versionsync/versionsync.pdf

Bernd

Just another lonesome cad guy
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2008, 11:01pm

Its only saving grace is price.. and it only works in older versions of the CDB version of cadence tools.
for just a little bit /seat you could get something like ICmanage or VersIC ..
the nice thing about VersIC is that you can start out with Subversion (Open source) for the BackEnd of the revision system, then move to other supported (commercial) backends  like perforce if you find the need.

But of course cadence tools haven't traditionally been built to take advantage of such systems..
(if it were, I'd be able to "diff" my schematic with the repository versions, even MERGE someone else's edit into my schematic. )
and if that were possible  - i might be able to merge the changes between 1033 and 1355 of That design, into THIS design!

chaos you say? but such features are considered _basic_ features in the world of open source code development..
(and I'll attest to their utility for script development too! (ocean/skill/perl/python etc))

someday, I hope..

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 3rd, 2009, 12:17am

Actually VersIC does now provide a means of diffing two designs or design versions. It's a rather nice feature, even if only used to tell you what changed between two revisions.

Doing a merge may be something that can be done in the future, but do remember that even merging when you have text files is often not as straightforward as it might seem. Not too bad if the merge is in different functions (although there may be interdependencies between those functions), but if merges are in the same function, there is much more likely to be problems - which is a similar problem to what there would be with a merge in a schematic.

A schematic merge could potentially be done because you don't necessarily have to preserve the physcal location of devices. Doing a merge on a layout would be much harder for anything other than trivial changes though.

Regards,

Andrew.

makelo
Community Member

Hillsboro, OR
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2010, 9:54am

So I am unclear on the answer.  VersionSync is not supported for IC61 so for a new someone looking for a new revision control system, it is probably not worth spending too much time on.   SVN is known to have compatibility challenges with CDB files since it is not really meant for binary files.

For a small design team, not wanting to invest too much IT effort, and trying to manage tool costs, what is the best path?

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2010, 6:48am

There are four companies who are Cadence Connections Partners who you should talk to - they will have different benefits for smaller teams, I'm sure, but I don't want to pre-judge things. The companies are (in no particular order):

• ClioSoft SOS
  • Dassault (formerly Matrix One, formerly Synchronicity) DesignSync DFII
  • IC Manage
  • MethodICs EDA (VersIC)

You can find links to them from here http://www.cadence.com/Alliances/connections/pages/default.aspx

Regards,

Andrew.

achim.graupner
Community Member

Reply #6 - Feb 8th, 2010, 1:46am

Dear makelo,

Brief comment on this: if you already have experience with SVN then have a look into VersIC, it is the olny being able to use a SVN-based repository.

We also using SVN + CDB on command line, it works with some limitations, but analog designers do in general appreciate the command line work.

Regards,
Achim

Achim Graupner
ZMD AG, Dresden, Silicon Saxony, Germany
View Profile   IP Logged
makelo
Community Member

Hillsboro, OR
Reply #7 - Feb 8th, 2010, 2:57pm

Thanks for the comments.  It is great to hear solutions others are using.

-Makelo

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.