The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 29th, 2024, 2:03am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Eye diagram: edges do not intersect correctly (Read 3997 times)
ortis

Eye diagram: edges do not intersect correctly
Apr 04th, 2008, 7:40am

Hello everybody. I'm testing an optical transceiver and as you can see in the attached image falling edges don't intersect the middle of rising edges. Someone could help me?
Thanks!!

080404_112736.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Eye diagram: edges do not intersect correctly
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2008, 6:14am

Hi Ortis,

It looks that the output has duty cycle distortion. What was the output data stream when you recording the attached picture? I would like to observe whether it is duty cycle distortion using data stream like 0101..... , which avoids inter symbol interference. Duty cycle distortion is caused by the circuitry in the transmitter path. Usually when the driving capablitiy devates obviously from the sinking capability in the data path.

Best regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
ortis

Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2008, 2:57am

Hi Yawei, thank you for your help.  
Data stream is the pseudo-casual sequence PRBS7, that means that a group of (2^7 - 1) bits is repeated. So it's not a sequence that avoids ISI.. Do you think that the problem is caused by the tracks impedance? Or by their length (and the resulting inductance..) ?

Regards
jack

View Profile   IP Logged
kanan

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2008, 9:37am

Hello,
If the cross-overs are skewed away from the centre, then it could be due to two reasons:
1. There is rise-time fall-time mismatch.
2. The "falling" starts later than "rising"

I agree with Yawei, most likely the pull-down drive is lower than the pull-up drive.

--Kanan

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.