The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:18am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage Regulator (Read 2584 times)
Croaker

Voltage Regulator
Apr 11th, 2008, 2:36pm

Does anyone know of a voltage regulator model?  Currently I'm using a non-ideal op-amp wired up as a unity-gain amplifier.  This actually works fine except that it takes around 1 us of sim time to reach steady state.  Perhaps my real goal is to have a realistic model (you see dips when charge is pulled) that can settle quickly.  I'm open to suggestions!

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: Voltage Regulator
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2008, 12:49am

That stronlgy depends on the schematic implementation you're trying to model.
If you're using a simple bucket converter, try to model it as such.
Your problem reaching steady state can be solved using initial statements ...

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
Croaker

Re: Voltage Regulator
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2008, 2:22pm

The schematic is an opamp driving a PMOS to source current through a two resistor string.  One terminal of the opamp is a reference voltage and the other is tied between the two resistors.  The regulator output is at the drain of the PMOS.

I'm not clear on how initialization statements could help.  The regulator output is initially at the desired value.  With a period switched-cap load, e.g. the regulator power an inverter switching high and low (charging and discharging a cap).  As soon as the first switching event happens the output of the regulator drops but does not recover.  Eventually the voltage does recover enough to reach a steady state with an average output voltage that is desired.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.