The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 19th, 2024, 4:45pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Error:Hierarchy Flattening in Cadence (Read 6969 times)
madan

Mumbai-India
Error:Hierarchy Flattening in Cadence
Apr 23rd, 2008, 5:13pm

HI,
i am getting the following message when i am trying to netlist and run the inverter:

Error found by spectre in 'Inv22' : 'I6', During hierarchy flattening.
I6.PM0: Instance (of type mos2) requires the use of a model.

I have created a test bench for the inverter and instantiated Inverter made as cell named 'Inv22' in it. I6 is the instance name of the inverter. I am using the CMOSP35 library. This error message is not coming constantly. Sometimes it does not come and the simulation runs successfully. I have been using Cadence for last 1 year but this error started coming only recently.

what i understand from the error message is that netlist is not being created properly. There is an error in the netlist line containing all MOSFETs.
The MOSFET line in the netlist reads something like this:

m5 (list of nodes) mos2 w=1u l= 0.35u ........

Instead of mos2 it should be nch or pch.

If anyone knows the way to solve this problem then please help me. Thanks in advance

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Error:Hierarchy Flattening in Cadence
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2008, 6:37am

Do you have a schematic or symbol in your library named "mos2" ?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
madan

Mumbai-India
Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2008, 8:45am

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Apr 24th, 2008, 6:37am:
Do you have a schematic or symbol in your library named "mos2" ?

No i don't have schematic or symbol in my library named "mos2".

I have gone through the spectre manual and found that mos2 means BSIM level2 model. From that what i understand is that the netlister is instantiating a BSIM level2 model for the mosfets ( nfet and pfet from cmosp35), where is should create a nch or pch model in the netlist.

The problem started only when i started using the Virtuoso layout editor. I have been using schematic editor for quite some time now but never experienced the problem. When I use "extracted" before "schematic"  in the switch view list in the the environment setup dialogue, then the netlist is sometimes created correctly(for extracted shell view). But this doe not happen consistently. Again, when I remove extracted from the switch view list and redo the netlisting, then netlist SOMETIMES gets created correctly (even for the schematic view). But there is no consistency in all this.

Also, exiting the icfb does not help consistently.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2008, 5:22am

From the error message, I knew mos2 was some sort of built-in model (it's mos level=2; this is not the same as "bsim2" which is BSIM 2, or mos level=5).

I can't imagine why the netlister would pick "mos2"; it was a wild guess that it might be a cell in your library.  I suppose it might be hard-coded into some netlisting function, but I don't have any suggestions where to start looking for that, nor why it would be inconsistent.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
BWhite

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2008, 4:29pm

Try

setenv CDS_Netlisting_Mode Analog

before you run the tool.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.