The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:19pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two questions about verilog-A (Read 3684 times)
icsoul

Two questions about verilog-A
Jun 13th, 2008, 2:16am

1. I want to measure the input clock period and give it output as a signal. But it seems that the verilog-A cannot deal with non-electrical port, isn't it?  Then how can I solve this problem?

2. I want to measure the max, min, mean value in real time and give them output as signals. How to implement this?

Thanks!~

View Profile   IP Logged
Stefan

Re: Two questions about verilog-A
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008, 3:29am

1.)
In "real world" clock signals are not digital Smiley
So you could use analog clock signals for that. However, if you don't use a mixed-signal simulator, you won't be able to handle digital signals annyway. And if you're using a mixed-signal-simulator, you should consider using verilog-AMS instead of verilogA which would enable you to use digital ports.

2.) max/min/mean of the period ? You could either use an analog port to drop the value as voltage, or you can use the ncsim display to display values from the inside of the modelling blocks variables.

View Profile 16731287   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2008, 1:49pm

Yes, Verilog-A can handle non-electrical signals. To do so you will need to create the appropriate natures and disciplines. I believe I show how to do this in my paper on modeling noise and jitter in a pll. I do it in the section on phase domain models, where I create natures and disciplines for phase.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
icsoul

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2008, 9:18pm

Stefan wrote on Jun 13th, 2008, 3:29am:
1.)
In "real world" clock signals are not digital Smiley
So you could use analog clock signals for that. However, if you don't use a mixed-signal simulator, you won't be able to handle digital signals annyway. And if you're using a mixed-signal-simulator, you should consider using verilog-AMS instead of verilogA which would enable you to use digital ports.

2.) max/min/mean of the period ? You could either use an analog port to drop the value as voltage, or you can use the ncsim display to display values from the inside of the modelling blocks variables.

I use HSPICE as the simulation tool. So I can only use verilog-A.

I want to know how to calculate the max/min/mean of any input continuous signal, not only period.

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
icsoul

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2008, 9:28pm

Ken Kundert wrote on Jun 13th, 2008, 1:49pm:
Yes, Verilog-A can handle non-electrical signals. To do so you will need to create the appropriate natures and disciplines. I believe I show how to do this in my paper on modeling noise and jitter in a pll. I do it in the section on phase domain models, where I create natures and disciplines for phase.

-Ken

Hi, Ken

Do you mean the following part?
`include “disciplines.vams”
discipline phase
potential Angle;
enddiscipline

It seems that if I add a discipline for time(period), the nature would be added first, isn't it?

Could you give some hints for calculating the max/min/mean values of input continuous signal?

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.