The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 12:36am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SPICE syntax re: differential noise evaluation (Read 837 times)
joel
Community Member

SPICE syntax re: differential noise evaluation
Jun 17th, 2008, 8:56am

I wonder if you smart people could answer a how-to question for me.  I'd like to evaluate the small-signal noise of a differential opamp.  The spice manual explains that the .noise statement takes two arguments.  The first is the output variable defining the output voltage from which the noise is evaluated.  The second is the indepenant source to be used as the noise input reference.  So if I want to evaluate the noise at the differential outputs of an opamp with single-ended input, I'd type

.noise v(outp,outn) Vinp

Where outp, outn are the output nodes of the circuit, and Vinp is the independent voltage source defining the voltage of the input node of the circuit, e.g. Vinp inp VCM 0 AC 1 .

This seems to work. But if I want to evaluate the noise of the circuit with a differential input configuration, do you know the syntax?  I'd be defining the input like this:

Vinp inp VCM 0 AC 0.5            $inp positive polarity input node
Vinm inm VCM 0 AC 0.5 180    $inm negative polarity input node

My confusion is that I'm now driving the circuit with two independent sources.  Maybe it doesn't matter, or I need just do a 6dB adjustment?

I hope my question make sense.  Thanks for any knowledge you can offer me!

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: SPICE syntax differential noise evaluation
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2008, 9:46am

Use the ideal balun from http://www.designers-guide.org/Analysis/diff.pdf and take the voltage source at the differential input as reference.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
joel
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2008, 12:42pm

Thanks, that sounds perfect!  Please excuse my ignorance and let me ask another question.  The balun subckt definintion contains two independent voltage source definitions:

V1 3 5
V2 2 7

These statements seem to specify the source & reference nodes, but not the potential between them.  I'm more accustomed to, for example,  V1 3 5 0.75V .  Could you comment on how these two statements behave in the subckt?

thanks in advance, /jd

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2008, 6:58pm

Hi Joel,

Which cell do you use in analogLib? I use ideal_balun. The subckt for it is shown below in spectre language.

Code:
subckt ideal_balun d c p n
    K1 ( d 0 c n ) transformer n1 = 2
    K0 ( d 0 p c ) transformer n1 = 2
ends ideal_balun 

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2008, 11:17pm

joel wrote on Jun 17th, 2008, 12:42pm:
Thanks, that sounds perfect!  Please excuse my ignorance and let me ask another question.  The balun subckt definintion contains two independent voltage source definitions:

V1 3 5
V2 2 7

These statements seem to specify the source & reference nodes, but not the potential between them.  I'm more accustomed to, for example,  V1 3 5 0.75V .  Could you comment on how these two statements behave in the subckt?

thanks in advance, /jd

The voltage across these voltage sources is zero. They are used to measure the current flowing through them and are referenced by the current-contolled current sources (F elements).

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.