The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 29th, 2024, 12:54am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to get papers accepted? (Read 4823 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

how to get papers accepted?
Jul 28th, 2008, 2:34am

Hi everyone,

I was pondering on the non-technical aspects of paper acceptance. The technical ones are quite clear:

1. Novel idea
2. Useful idea
3. Significant advancement of state-of-art.
4. Proof of concept or implementation with measured results.
5. Idea presented clearly and convincingly.

Of the above, 1 is usually clear, 2 & 3 are clear in many but not all papers. 4 & 5 are clear where available, although one may not know if only 1 of 100 parts worked.

Now coming to the non-technical aspects. Here things get a bit hazy.

On the few papers I have written, the ones looked the most convincing to myself and which even had working silicon to prove this performance and applicability of the ideas were rejected without comment.

On the other hand, all the ones which were average, or even below average were all accepted even though there was no working silicon etc. in most cases

Both the content and quality of presentation were worse in the rejected papers, whereas atleast some accepted ones had small cosmetic defects (incomplete labelling of axes in figures etc.).

The only difference was that the accepted papers all had heavyweight researchers from academia as co-authors.

Could someone shed some light on what one needs to do to get papers accepted? As a working engineer, I rarely write papers and don't have the time to rewrite them and resubmit them.

Do conferences/journals have quotas for univ. papers vs. company papers?
Big company vs. small company?
Priority for papers from the region (when sending to a conf.)?

I mean we are all supposed to be objective in choosing and selecting but conferences also need to operate under various constraints. It would be good to know of these to increase the chances of getting one's publications accepted. The technical work and writing up is already hard enough.

Comments are most appreciated.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Re: how to get papers accepted?
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2008, 6:36am

Hi Vivek,

I think it is also important to select the right journal/conference!
While some journals/conference are closer to industry and working silicon is mandatory, other focus more on theoretical work and only few papers provide measurements.
The publications of some journals/conference have very high quality, while other seem to publish even the biggest rubbish (with almost 100% acceptance rate).

At which conferences/journals have you published?
Regards

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2008, 7:39am

Hi Berti,

You are right. There is always the conference factor. So ISSCC is obviously going to expect much better stuff.

I submitted papers at CAS conferences, including ISCAS, and there were no silicon results there. CAS does not/did not care much about silicon.

VLSI Symp. was one which I couldn't manage through. But maybe there is the important point mentioned by you that this was an SSCS organized conf.

However, I know some guys who had problems with one conference organized by the same society but could get their more or less identical draft accepted at another conf. by the same society. But there is always some subjectivity.

My main interest is in knowing which confs. are industry-friendlier, and if regional factors have any influence. If the latter is true, then I would rather submit somewhere here than in a conf. that takes place farther away. Since we are speaking of industrial confs., let us assume that silicon is always required.

Regards
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
imd1

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2008, 8:20am

vivkr wrote on Jul 28th, 2008, 7:39am:
Hi Berti,

My main interest is in knowing which confs. are industry-friendlier, and if regional factors have any influence. If the latter is true, then I would rather submit somewhere here than in a conf. that takes place farther away. Since we are speaking of industrial confs., let us assume that silicon is always required.

Regards
Vivek

it depends also on where is "here". If you work for a large company with a long tradition of publishing (and sponsoring university design teams) then it is easier to get your paper published.
Geo-locating the submission close to the company headquarters generally helps, I believe.

Sorry to ask, but why do you care ? Are you doing also a PhD ?

I usually don't bother to try to publish, just getting "clearance" from all the stakeholders for submission is already a lot of extra work (unpaid and usually seen as slightly dangerous exposure).

View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 29th, 2008, 11:34pm

No! I am not doing a Ph.D., but usually, I get around to writing something up once a year or so. That on average is the rate at which I have some new interesting design completed among the other work. So, actually I do care that it gets accepted.

But you are right, in the industry, there is no "publish or perish" requirement, which forces people in academia to jot up atleast 5-10 papers per year. In the industry, one looks for recognition for one's work, not just from inside but also from outside, the latter being very good for the career.

We don't have a problem with getting "clearance". It just takes 1 email and less than a week usually, and paper submissions are encouraged as a matter of fact.

Let me try to follow your suggestion of submitting close to the headquarters, that would be conferences in Europe.

Thanks
Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.