The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:31pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A doubt on verilog-A syntax (Read 4969 times)
sprun

A doubt on verilog-A syntax
Aug 12th, 2008, 11:19pm

Hi everyone, I'm a fresh here and also in verilog-A. I learned some verilog-A basics to modelling a charge pump circuit required by our project recently. However, I found a problem when running my verilog-A code in spectre.

The case is, whenever I put a <+ sentence after a @ sentence in the code, that is,

@(expression)
begin
expression <+ expression;
end

a hint for covergence problem will appear once I run the code.

I don't know why this happens. But I do see some demo verilog-A code use the two sentences in this way. I also tried some of these demo code, but they have the same problem!

Do anyone have the same experience? Can anyone help me to solve this problem? Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: A doubt on verilog-A syntax
Reply #1 - Aug 13th, 2008, 2:00am

Hi sprun,

It looks that it is a hint for warning that probably there is a convergence problem. That is not a syntax error. Would you please show your code here or an example which have the problem?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
sprun

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2008, 2:47am

Hi Yawei,

Thanks for your attention!
The following is my code:

`include "constants.vams"
`include "disciplines.vams"

module pump(clk,out);

input clk;
output out;

electrical clk, in, out;

real odd;

parameter real C = 1.0e-12;
parameter real VDD = 3.3;
parameter real Vth = 0.6;
parameter real f = 1e7; //freq=10MHz
parameter real N = 4; //pump stage

analog begin

odd = N%2;

@(initial_step)
begin
V(out) <+ 0;
end

@(above(V(clk) - 1.6))
  begin

if(V(out) > (VDD - 1.2))
           begin
               V(in) <+ VDD+N*VDD-(N+1.0)*Vth;
               V(out,in) <+ (N/(f*C))*I(in,out);
           end
       else
           begin
               V(in) <+ VDD+N*VDD-(N+1.0)*Vth;
               V(out,in) <+ 35.0e3*I(in,out);
           end
       end

I(in,out) <+ ((4.0*N*N-N-3.0)*C/(12.0*(N+1.0)))*ddt(V(out))*odd + ((4.0*N*N+3.0*N+2.0))*C/(12.0*(N+1.0))*ddt(V(out))*(1-odd);

end

end

endmodule

Kindly please help to debug it. Thanks a lot!

ywguo wrote on Aug 13th, 2008, 2:00am:
Hi sprun,

It looks that it is a hint for warning that probably there is a convergence problem. That is not a syntax error. Would you please show your code here or an example which have the problem?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2008, 6:21am

sprun wrote on Aug 12th, 2008, 11:19pm:
@(expression)
begin
end

I believe that syntax is illegal; namely, you shouldn't have a contribution (<+) inside an event.  You should do something instead like:

real outval;

analog begin
 @(initial_step) outval = 0;
 @(expression) begin
   outval = 5;
 end
 I(out) <+ outval;

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sprun

Reply #4 - Aug 13th, 2008, 6:43pm

Hi Geoffrey_Coram.!

You mean the syntax is indeed wrong and I have to define another variable to pass the value to avoid the wrong syntax, right?

But why a contribution (<+) cannot be included in a event (@)? Could you explain the reason?

I mentioned above that I have seen some demo code in some books and they just used the 'wrong' syntax. Seems that they didn't treat it wrong.  

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Aug 13th, 2008, 6:21am:
sprun wrote on Aug 12th, 2008, 11:19pm:
@(expression)
begin
end

I believe that syntax is illegal; namely, you shouldn't have a contribution (<+) inside an event.  You should do something instead like:

real outval;

analog begin
 @(initial_step) outval = 0;
 @(expression) begin
   outval = 5;
 end
 I(out) <+ outval;

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 14th, 2008, 7:58am

sprun wrote on Aug 13th, 2008, 6:43pm:
Hi Geoffrey_Coram.!

You mean the syntax is indeed wrong and I have to define another variable to pass the value to avoid the wrong syntax, right?

But why a contribution (<+) cannot be included in a event (@)? Could you explain the reason?

I mentioned above that I have seen some demo code in some books and they just used the 'wrong' syntax. Seems that they didn't treat it wrong.  

What books?  Were they on Verilog-A, or are you translating a digital assignment syntax to analog?  The Verilog-AMS LRM explicitly forbids this (see Section 5.10, specifically the bullets on page 109 (124 of 402 in the PDF) of the latest LRM 2.3).

The issue is, if the contribution is only in the event, what is supposed to happen for all iterations of all timepoints when the event is not triggered?  Answer: no contribution at all.  It would be a huge convergence disaster if you were contributing 5A at one timepoint and nothing (open circuit) at the next.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
sprun

Reply #6 - Aug 14th, 2008, 6:38pm

Thank you! I also found the warning in The Designer's Guide to Verilog-AMS yesterday. Seems that I have to avoid putting a contribution in an event. Thanks anyway!

Geoffrey_Coram wrote on Aug 14th, 2008, 7:58am:
sprun wrote on Aug 13th, 2008, 6:43pm:
Hi Geoffrey_Coram.!

What books?  Were they on Verilog-A, or are you translating a digital assignment syntax to analog?  The Verilog-AMS LRM explicitly forbids this (see Section 5.10, specifically the bullets on page 109 (124 of 402 in the PDF) of the latest LRM 2.3).

The issue is, if the contribution is only in the event, what is supposed to happen for all iterations of all timepoints when the event is not triggered?  Answer: no contribution at all.  It would be a huge convergence disaster if you were contributing 5A at one timepoint and nothing (open circuit) at the next.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.