The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 11th, 2024, 7:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Simulation results change as a function of simulation length (Read 2732 times)
Noam

Simulation results change as a function of simulation length
Aug 26th, 2008, 9:44am

I see very strange behavior of Spectre simulator and I hope I could get some help.

I am simulating switched capacitor circuit and I get different results as a function of the simulation length (transient analysis). For example, when the simulation stop time is 100ns I see different wave shapes (between 0 to 100ns) comparing to the exact same simulation when it runs for 400ns (again looking in the range of 0-100ns).

I ran it under moderate accuracy, tried to change to conservative with no change, try to reduce the maxstep (by several orders of magnitude) and no change. Does anyone saw such behavior? Is there any other parameter which depends on the simulation length (besides maxstep)?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Re:  Simulation results change as a function of simulation length
Reply #1 - Aug 26th, 2008, 1:42pm

A suggested reading - chapter 4 of "The Designers Guide to Spice & Spectre" (by Ken Kundert) will give a lot of insight into transient simulation errors.

Certain types of circuits (and switch cap circuits are amon them) will give different results every time you run the simulation due to truncation errors.

Spice/Spectre is not infallible.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re:  Simulation results change as a function of simulation length
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2008, 3:35am

Default rise and fall time for sources are a function of the simulation interval. Explicitly specify them to eliminate this dependency on the total simulation time.

-Ken

Oh, one more thing. Do not ask simulation questions in the design boards. Please use the simulation boards instead. Thanks!

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.