The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 12:18pm
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
stability analysis from ADE (Read 4359 times)
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Re: stability analysis from ADE
Reply #15 - Sep 19th, 2008, 12:08am

Tlaloc wrote on Sep 18th, 2008, 12:58pm:
I personally have never seen a stb equivalent in HSPICE.  The latest version that I used was 2006, and I didn't see it there.  I haven't looked closely enough at Eldo to say one way or the other.

Regarding Eldo, I found http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic265486.html. It seems to use Middlebrook's old method from 1975 that was developed without taking into account backward transmission.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
imd1

Reply #16 - Sep 19th, 2008, 5:43am

Frank Wiedmann wrote on Sep 19th, 2008, 12:08am:
Tlaloc wrote on Sep 18th, 2008, 12:58pm:
I personally have never seen a stb equivalent in HSPICE.  The latest version that I used was 2006, and I didn't see it there.  I haven't looked closely enough at Eldo to say one way or the other.

Regarding Eldo, I found http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic265486.html. It seems to use Middlebrook's old method from 1975 that was developed without taking into account backward transmission.

Why do you think that eldo is using the old method ? I am curious how to go about testing for this.

So, AFAWK Spectre (and LTspice!) are the only simulators that support the (correct?) loop gain test fixture ?

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #17 - Sep 19th, 2008, 11:08am

imd1 wrote on Sep 19th, 2008, 5:43am:
Why do you think that eldo is using the old method ? I am curious how to go about testing for this.

I concluded this from one of the messages in http://www.edaboard.com/ftopic265486.html :
Code:
* .lstb This command improves the analysis of circuit stability.
* The .LSTB command measures the loop gain by successive injection (Middlebrook
* Technique). A zero voltage source is placed in series in the loop: the first pin of the voltage loop
* must be connected to the loop input, the other pin to the loop output. 

It mentions Middlebrook but not his General Feedback Theorem.

Quote:
So, AFAWK Spectre (and LTspice!) are the only simulators that support the (correct?) loop gain test fixture ?

The only simulator I know which has Tian's method directly built in is Spectre. In LTspice, I have implemented it by using some ideal sources together with a parameter sweep and an expression that calculates the loop gain from the simulation results. It should be possible to implement Tian's method in a similar way in most other Spice simulators.

The question regarding the correct loop gain is a bit more difficult to answer. From a usability standpoint, I like Tian's method best because of its symmetry. With respect to formal correctness, Middlebrook's General Feedback Theorem probably has the better arguments on its side. This question is somewhat academic, however, because for practical circuits, the results of all three methods discussed here are usually very close to each other. They also will all tell you correctly if the circuit is stable or not (see my webpage http://www.geocities.com/frank_wiedmann/loopgain.html for details).

nobody
Community Member

Reply #18 - Sep 25th, 2008, 3:02am

Hello, Frank

Your method is right and I made a trival mistake. The place where you want to put the magic "probe" does not matter, which is verified in your example. I did the same thing and get the same result. However, I get a slight change in the result like GBW by using the stb analysis. DC gaim and phase margin are same. DC operating parameters like Vgs, Vds, gm, gmb, and cdtot are same.
GBW(Tian's method)=144MHz  GBW(STB)=255MHz  
I was wondering if you have any idea why there is a change in GBW.

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #19 - Sep 25th, 2008, 5:40am

I have no idea where the difference comes from. Spectre's stb analysis uses Tian's method and you should get exactly the same result if your circuit and your device models are the same. Maybe there is another error in your setup?

nobody
Community Member

Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2009, 7:46pm

Hello, Frank

I read the website you said. To get the loop gain of differential CKT, I have to add a "balun". I went to your website but I can not find examples about the simulation loop gain of differential CKT. I was wondering if you can provide me some suggestions or examples to simuate the loop gain of differential CKT.
Thanks.

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2009, 12:36am by nobody »  
View Profile   IP Logged
nobody
Community Member

Reply #21 - Apr 10th, 2009, 5:42am

Hello, Frank

I think I kind of understand what you talked in your website and just try to draw a photo for verification. If the method in the photo is right, I can use the same way to simulate the common mode loop. All I have to do is put a probe in the common mode path.
Thanks.

lt.JPG
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.