The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise simulation in Cadence (Read 13286 times)
manodipan
Community Member

Noise simulation in Cadence
Oct 01st, 2008, 2:16am

Hi all,
I am trying to do some noise simulation in Cadence.In that i put an input port,and select the output for noise .The simulator gives output referred noise but not input referred noise.How to get the input referred noise?????
By the awy i have heard some term like transient noise simulation,what is that??

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Noise simulation in Cadence
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2008, 10:50pm

Hi manodipan,

Please set the input source as a voltage source in order to observe the input referred noise.

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008, 6:21am

manodipan wrote on Oct 1st, 2008, 2:16am:
By the awy i have heard some term like transient noise simulation,what is that??

Spice's "noise" is a small-signal analysis, like ac: the circuit is linearized about an operating point to compute the transfer function from the noise generators to the output.

PNoise goes a step further and computes a "time-varying operating point" but again linearizes the circuit.  Similar for HBnoise.

Transient noise does a regular transient analysis, but then uses the noise equations to inject random amounts of charge (or voltage) and attempts to compute the full nonlinear response in the presence of noise.  I think there's a whitepaper on SourceLink.  It's really the only way to get the noise performance of sigma-delta converters (and other circuits that aren't periodic nor linear).  But it's tricky to not lose the noise in the numerical roundoff of finite-precision computer arithmetic, and to have good convergence in the presence of the random noise.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
manodipan
Community Member

Reply #3 - Nov 17th, 2008, 1:03am

Hi Geoffrey,
So what is the procedure to do some transient noise simulation...Is it like first transient and then noise simulation....or do noise analysis with type time domain...what is the significance of that analysis??

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2008, 4:37am

Cadence has a whitepaper on transient noise available on SourceLink; you should read it to understand the assumptions and limitations.

It's a transient analysis, as I said before; the noise is injected at each timepoint during the analysis.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #5 - Nov 17th, 2008, 5:55am

manodipan
Community Member

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2008, 3:12am

Hi Frank,
can you attach the pdf,because i have to register to source link and i dont know the hostid of our license server..thanks a lot..

View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2008, 6:11am

I'm afraid I can't because the whitepaper is proprietary to Cadence and they chose not to make it available to everyone. Try to find out the hostid of your license server and register on SourceLink.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.