The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 1:23am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ring oscillator (Read 2217 times)
youchen

ring oscillator
Oct 13th, 2008, 3:34pm

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

1. is 'pnoise' the proper analysis to calculate period jitter of a ring oscillator? The manual says that the analysis 'pss' is run ahead of 'pnoise', so I also have difficulty understanding what the periodic steady state within each cycle is for a ring oscillator (the settled high/low state or the threshold crossing state)?

2. If I am interested in the timing delay variations of digital logic circuits (for example a NAND gate) resulting from device noise, like thermal, shot and flicker noise, is 'pnoise' the appropriate analysis?

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: ring oscillator
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2008, 9:37pm

Yes, you would use pnoise to compute either the phase noise or jitter of a ring oscillator. The periodic steady state is not "within" the cycle, it is the whole cycle.

Pnoise is also used for jitter simulations of logic circuits.

As an introduction, you might want to take a look at "Noise in mixers, oscillators, samplers, and logic: an introduction to cyclostationary noise" on the Theory page of this site.

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
youchen

Re: ring oscillator
Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2008, 9:52am

Thanks, Ken.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.