The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:40am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
8 bit full adder in verilog-ams (Read 1766 times)
godfather
Community Member

8 bit full adder in verilog-ams
Oct 16th, 2008, 12:31am

can anybody guide how to build 8 bit full adder in verilog-ams using cadence.

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Re: 8 bit full adder in verilog-ams
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2008, 7:21am

Hi mtech,

If you do a google search on full adder verilog you will find lots of examples.  A key point is that simulators which run Verilog-AMS can run Verilog (digital) as well.

Reply if you meant Verilog-A and not Verilog-AMS because the answer in that case is different.

View Profile   IP Logged
godfather
Community Member

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2008, 1:43pm

hi peruzzi,

thnks for quick reply. I meant verilog-ams, but what if it is verilog-a then how do u do that. i mean i want to build a schematic of that, which library i should select , i can build it in two ways by pmos and nmos transistors and then i build a symbol of that and simulate it , 2 way is to pick up full adder from ahdl library and then simulate that.

what if i want to write a verilog-a code for 8 bit adder and then how can link that to schematic which can be build by either of the two ways mentioned above.

all this i wanted to do verilog-ams i mean i want to make analog part pure analog and digital part combined as in mixed signal system design.

i mean there is an example provided by cadence which explains one about how to do AMS in gui and the other one is run AMS through analog design environment.

I can tell you the examples provided by cadence are zipped file AMSD_in_GUI and other one is vfs_amsflow.

so i wanted to build the 8bit full adder just like that.

thnks and regards,
mtech84

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #3 - Oct 17th, 2008, 9:02am

Hi Mtech,

What do you plan to do with the model?  Some possibilities:

A:  Instantiate it in a digital system and simulate that with a digital simulator.
B:  Instantiate it in a mixed analog and digital system and simulate that with an AMS simulator.
C:  Instantiate the model by itself in a testbench and use it as a "golden reference" for designing the adder from top to bottom.

Tell me your plans for the model after you debug it and I'll help you from there.  The idea is to keep things as simple as you can get away with, right?

Best regards,

Bob

View Profile   IP Logged
godfather
Community Member

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2008, 1:57am

thnks peruzzi for a quick reply.... it is so good of you if I get to know how to go for  plan B and plan C.

thnks a lot buddy..... thats really nice of u..

i appreciate.....

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2008, 2:03pm

Is this a school assignment or are you working in industry.  If it is a school assignment, why don't you summarize that assignment for me.    What exactly is it you need to do?

View Profile   IP Logged
godfather
Community Member

Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2008, 5:29pm

no this is not all the school assignment,i am a research assistant,and doing my individual research, i just picked up the simplest of all so that i can verify my results, i am not asking for code i am just asking for method so that when i model complex things tomorrow i could jot down the complete procedure for this, i tried in so many ways i get stuck up. so i am just asking if you can suggest me proper method just as u have listed in plan a,b, and c.

thnks again for quick reply...

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2008, 7:05pm

OK then.  Looks to me like you need basic experience getting to know adders and schematics.

Surely you're not the only one in your community using Cadence and Verilog-AMS, right?  You should also get some basic help from the person who maintains the design tools for your group.  Here are the steps I would take.  If you don't know how to do these steps, ask your tool admin. person to help you.

1. Go to a text book and quickly learn about adders.  
2. Make a paper diagram of an 8-bit adder, so you have a gate level representation that you understand using AND, OR, XOR, INV, etc.
3. Snoop around with your Library Manager until you find the library with the digital gates, then create this adder circuit using your Cadence schematic tool.  Make a symbol for the adder from your schematic.
4. Instantiate the symbol onto a testbench schematic page.  Instantiate some pulse sources to make a sequence of test signals.
5. Use the Hierarchy Editor to create a config view of the testbench.  If you use a Verilog-AMS simulator you can choose either the Verilog views or the schematic views of the logic gates you used to build the adder and test bench.
6. Get some local help to start and run the Verilog-AMS tool from the hierarchy editor.

I hope this is clear enough.  Be sure to get some help from your colleagues using your specific design environment too.

Best of luck!

View Profile   IP Logged
godfather
Community Member

Reply #8 - Oct 20th, 2008, 9:44am

hi peruzzi,

thnks again! I was able to that. now is there any way where a written code of 8 bit full adder can be imported directly and and accordingly write the testbench and i can simulate using that code.

i am alone using this tool, rest use mentor graphics.

regards,
mtech84

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #9 - Oct 20th, 2008, 12:05pm

Mtech,

* See the person who maintains your Cadence tool installation for any details you don't understand.

* Yesterday you created a symbol and schematics for the 8-bit adder and simulated it successfully.  To simulate code instead of schematics, use the Library manager to create a Verilog view of the adder -- that same one you created the symbol and schematic for yesterday.  You don't need Verilog-AMS for a digital adder.  A text editor (vi by default) will open up.

* Google "8-bit adder Verilog", and find some examples of Verilog code for an 8-bit adder.  Study the code until you understand and feel comfortable with it.  Make your own version of that code, in the editor, with your own comments for your further reference.

* Save and quit, this will check and compile the code you pasted.  Make corrections as necessary.

* Use the same test bench you did yesterday.  Use the hierarchy editor to choose your newly created Verilog view instead of the schematics, and I think you're done!

Bob P.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.