The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 1:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spectre and Verilog-A (Read 2651 times)
rajdeep

UK
spectre and Verilog-A
Nov 20th, 2008, 4:40am

Hi all,

I have couple of observations regarding the way Spectre simulates Verilog-A models.
Let me know, if you have find this wrong, or not properly understood.

1. Spectre does not care whether I declare a port as voltage or electrical, It
always considers all the nodes as electrical in nature and thus expects conservative
models. For example, in modeling we might use s node voltage a signal
only to flag some events, so I am only worried about its voltage and not current!
But Spectre do care abt the current also!

2. Spectre does not support all the language constructs, like discontinuity.

3. It also does not care whether one declares a port to be input or inout. Every port
is inout for it!!

Pls. comment and share your views and  add your observations also!
I'll keep adding my observations.  I sincerely  want to clear my year-long
doubts abt the way Spectre handles Verilog-A.
Also, please share your views on whether  AMS Designer obeys these features.
Other than Spectre I have only used  NCSIM (with ams key) thru command line,
couple of years back.

Thanks,
Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Re: spectre and Verilog-A
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2008, 9:45am

Rajdeep,

Let me give my opinion and guess on issues 1 and 3.

1. Spectre does not care whether I declare a port as voltage or electrical, It
always considers all the nodes as electrical in nature and thus expects conservative
models. For example, in modeling we might use s node voltage a signal
only to flag some events, so I am only worried about its voltage and not current!
But Spectre do care abt the current also!

Looks reasonable to me.  Spectre is an electrical simulator.  I'm guessing that a different algorithm solves the Verilog-A model and the ports must be electrical to interface with the Spectre circuit simulator.  

3. It also does not care whether one declares a port to be input or inout. Every port
is inout for it!!

This looks reasonable to me too.  It's a device-level circuit simulation after all.  Device elements which comprise circuits do not have inputs or outputs.  From the Spectre point of view the model must look like a device.  From the model's point of view, defining ports as input or output simplify the solution algorithm.

Best regards,

Bob P.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2008, 1:24am

Hi,

I agreet with you. Isnt that something annoying when you get convergence errors from the simulator saying that the change in flow thru a node is too large, when you deliberately declaerd that node  as voltage!!

It's a drawback, but yes Spectre was built for simulating conservative models, so....what;s the
good alternative to Spectre for running relatively accurate simulation at behavioral level for
top level functional verification?

Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
prabal

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2008, 1:26pm

Hi Rajdeep,

I'm sure you're aware of this, but just a as a level-set, here're some terminologies:

It is the discipline of a conservative system that the user declares. One such discipline is electrical. Other disciplines could be mechanical, rotational etc. Each discipline has its potential and flow access functions (for the conservative system) that are defined by the natures associated with that discipline. For electrical discipline, voltage is the potential access function.

You are right that Spectre was designed to be one that simulated a conservative system. The other possibility that you alluded to would be one that simulated a signal-flow system in which only the potential nature is relevant.

Spectre does support $discontinuity() in Verilog-A, if that is what you are referring to. Is there a specific case of announcing discontinuity that is not working for you?

Regarding port direction, unless you're hooking your Verilog-A model to a digital design, the port direction in Verilog-A does not matter and is always inout. I tend to think of port direction specification as a documentation aid.

Regarding your comment in the last post about alternative to Spectre, have you considered writing real numbered models using, for example, VHDL real numbers or Verilog-AMS wreal that use the event-driven engine, and, assumes a signal-flow system.

Thanks,
Prabal.

View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2008, 11:29pm

Rajdeep,

Have you looked at using Verilog-AMS? The language includes
support for using real numbers, wreal. If you want to do signal
flow modeling and simulation or mix signal flow with conservative
models, then using Verilog-AMS may be an alternative you should
explore.  

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #5 - Nov 24th, 2008, 4:51am

Hi  Prabal,

Thanks for the  comments!
Yes, I know abt the discipline thing, and yes I would have loved to see spectre allowing us to write
a signa-flow model! Anyway, probably Verilog-A's main intention is to let designers write more
realistic conservative mdoels than signal-flow type of model, although keeping some of the features
for it.

But, discipline was treated as an undelcalred keyword. May be it's an older version!! Can you
please tell me the Spctre version you  have found discipline being accepted.

I do the same with the port direction! It kind of helps to understand ones intenstion of keeping a port in the model!

thanks,
Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #6 - Nov 24th, 2008, 4:53am

Hi Sheldon

thanks for the reply.

I have not tried this wreal thing although I am aware of Verilog-AMS and its support for wreal!
But for this anyway, I need to use a different simulator, not spectre or spectreVerilog for
AMS models!

I will try that.

Thanks,
rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #7 - Nov 24th, 2008, 10:22am

rajdeep wrote on Nov 24th, 2008, 4:51am:
But, discipline was treated as an undelcalred keyword. May be it's an older version!! Can you please tell me the Spctre version you  have found discipline being accepted.

The header file "discipline.h" (or "disciplines.vams") has been part of the standard for years; please show us the code that you think isn't working.  I think you're perhaps misusing "discipline"

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #8 - Nov 25th, 2008, 5:35am

oh!! Im sorry. I wanted to say discontinuity!! Please see my original post.

thanks for asking.

Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
prabal

Reply #9 - Nov 25th, 2008, 10:48am

Hi Rajdeep,

$discontinuity(arg) should work just fine. If you are getting a syntax error, it's best if you post the original code, the version of software and the syntax error that you got.

Thanks,
Prabal.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #10 - Nov 27th, 2008, 8:36am

Hi Prabal,

You  are right!!! My mistake! It works fine. I actually started thisthread to discuss some of my observations I had in running Verilog-A models in Spectre, only with an intent of clarifying
my doubts.  And, frankly speaking I have not used discontinuity after I had some problem with it a year back! But that may be purely for some other reason, which I do not remember!!

Anyway, apologies!! But thanks a lot for sharing your views. It was indeed very helpful!
Let us discontinue this thread  :(

Rajdeep

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2008, 8:23pm

I emphasized these points when I taught Verilog-A.

as an electrical conservative signal, all signals are bidirectional.. - Potential IN and FLOW out or vice-versa..
so the direction declaration in verilog a is only a convenience to match the port direction on the symbol (or which side of the symbol the pin defaults to)
the Electrical Network DOESN'T change when you change the port direction, so the simulation result is independent of it..

In reality there are no "input" or "output" wires.. there are just wires.
So thats how spectre behaves.

I think for what you want AMS is the proper solution, and except for simple mixed signal simulations SpectreVerilog just doesn't have language flexibilty to handle the hard cases quickly, so I JUST DONT USE IT!!

the simulators I use day in and day out are
spectre - AMSdesigner and NCsim..  All from ADE, just pick the right simulator (and everyone uses config views to control the netlisting today right? )

jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #12 - Dec 19th, 2008, 3:36pm

Thanks jbd for the reply. Actually I was looking to clear my understandings. I agree with you that a wire is a wire! But the fact that
spectre simply overrides the input/output declarations in Verilog-A was unknown to me until the last year. I also had couple of observations regarding what spectre supports and not, so thought to share them, more with a view to clarify.

For example, in addition to what I said (not the discontinue one though) the spectre-verilog-A compiler does not support declaration of an electrical bus where the bus width is a parameter. Verilog-A supports that, at least thats what I found in the LRM...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.