The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 12:26am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AMS simulation run time (Read 4743 times)
k_arkal

AMS simulation run time
Dec 18th, 2008, 9:47pm

I'm running verilog AMS on a very simple verilog A model of an A to D converter. It took me about one and a half hours to 1.5 seconds of simulation time.
I'm wondering if this is this the nomal speed I can expect or is there any parameter I need to control.
I'm running my job on a very high end machine. Using spectre with turbo option and liberal  option.
Thanks,
-KA

View Profile   IP Logged
jbdavid
Community Fellow

Silicon Valley
Re: AMS simulation run time
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2008, 11:36pm

If that's ALL that's in your simulation, I doubt the turbo option helps.
I'm running a simple receiver and am only a 120us after over a week..
Make the ADC model mixed signal so that the CLOCK and digital output pins in the ADC never touch the spectre solver.. it will probably run a LOT LOT faster..
(especially if the clock rate is higher than the analog signal bandwidth you are sampling.. and it should be a LEAST 2x..
remember that the clock results in a MINIMUM of 4 timesteps per cycle if it goes to analog side.. point are at the start and stop of each transition..

(THIS is the one of the fatal (to me) flaws of SpectreVerilog simulator..) your using AMS.. only half of that ADC is analog..
jbd

jbdavid
Mixed Signal Design Verification
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
k_arkal

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2008, 2:04pm

Hello,
I'm not clear when you say
"Make the ADC model mixed signal so that the CLOCK and digital output pins in the ADC never touch the spectre solver.."

can you please elaborate on this?
Thanks a lot for your help.
k_arkal

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2008, 3:53pm

Spectre is not very efficient in handling discrete events. The digital simulators are more efficient in this regard. So, in a mixed signal design it is better to model the discrete events such as clocking using
the digital (Verilog-D) constructs of Verilog-AMS. This will ensure that spectre does NOT try to solve ('touch') the discrete events (as you have modeled them using Verilog-D constructs), rather the digital simulator will do that in a more efficient way and the overall run-time could be significantly less!!
[By Verilog-D I mean the usual Verilog language used for logic signals e.g. always]

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
k_arkal

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2008, 4:04pm

Hi,
In my simulation I'm using a Voltage source from the analogLib for clock. Instead of using the voltage source, if I used a verilog-D construct to define my clock, teh simulation might run faster?

Thansk you very much,
-k_arkal.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #5 - Dec 22nd, 2008, 2:04am

Never tried! But seems unlikely as those are primitive blocks and spectre probably has better way (predefined) way of handling them. But if your clock has enabling feature then it makes sense to code
it in verilog as your simulation will be very fast when the clock is not ticking (disabled). But a primitive voltage pulse from analogLib will tick always.

Hope it helps!
Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
sheldon
Community Fellow

Reply #6 - Jan 2nd, 2009, 7:59am

KA,

I think that Jonathan was referring to using a different style
of modeling based on real number modeling. One reference
that may help is the following,

http://www.bmas-conf.org/2002/papers/bmas02-david.pdf

Best Regards,

Sheldon

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.