The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Input Referred Noise of Pipeline ADC (Read 1150 times)
Scott

Input Referred Noise of Pipeline ADC
Jan 23rd, 2009, 8:44am

I am trying to match lab measurement of short circuit noise for my pipeline ADC.  In order to accomplish this, I set up a PSS/PNOISE/PAC analysis for the first 3 MDAC stages and the S/H stage of the pipeline.  I set PSS to have a beat F=fs/4.  This appears to work fairly well, but I have a couple questions.

First, the PAC predicts a 6dB voltage attenuation across the S/H.  Is this expected?  The S/H does have a return to VCM forced during the sample stage by shorting the S/H positive and negative outputs.

In the simulation I have 3 MDAC stages with a 2X gain per stage, resulting in a 8X gain from the output of the 3rd MDAC to the output of the S/H.  Referring the noise at the MDAC output to the S/H input is easy (divide by 8), but when referring to the S/H input (to match the lab data) should I include the 6dB attenuation of the S/H?

Thanks,
Scott

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Re: Input Referred Noise of Pipeline ADC
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:58am

Does the output of you S/H have a 50% duty cycle?

-Ken

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Scott

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2009, 1:00pm

Yes, The output is very nearly 50% duty cycle.

View Profile   IP Logged
Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2009, 1:52pm

There you go. That is your 6db. The size of the Fourier coefficient for a sine wave with 50% duty cycle is half the size of one with the same amplitude that has 100% duty cycle.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Scott

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2009, 12:51pm

Thanks, that's what I thought.  It also corresponds with the pnoise analysis showing 6dB higher when I use the time domain analysis as opposed to the sources analysis.

Scott

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.