The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 21st, 2024, 4:29pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Elaborating the design hierarchy (Read 7121 times)
godfather
Community Member

Elaborating the design hierarchy
Jan 28th, 2009, 10:51am

Hi all,

I have some analog design which uses 45nm_bulk.pm , runs perfectly fine when i run with analog environment using simulator = spectre.
now when i run the same design with simulator = ams(spectre) mode: batch. i get the following error 45nm_bulk.pm for model nmos of type nmos the value of level= 54 not supported.

according to the simulator its mixed signal simulator, and everything else remains the same, except ther simulator so why do i get the elaborate error. compiling is fine.

kindly help...

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Elaborating the design hierarchy
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2009, 11:14am

What version of the AMS Designer simulator are you using? It may be that it's old... (what IUS version is it?).

Also, what does "print_mmsimver" give you (from a UNIX terminal, set up properly to run the tools)?

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
godfather
Community Member

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2009, 7:30pm

i am using IUS54QSR4 and MMSIM62BASE , IC5141USR5. what does level = 54 not supported mean.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2009, 9:34am

level=54 is the HSPICE level number for bsim4. Most likely your model files are in SPICE syntax.

I can't test, because I no longer have an IUS54 installation. However, IUS55 was using 6.0.1 so was a pretty old version of spectre. I think in IUS54 the new SFE (Simulation Front End) was either not on by default or not on at all.

I did locate an IUS54 installation after all, but see that it was before the print_mmsimver command, so it's clearly pretty old. It was released in 2004, compared with MMSIM62 which was 2007.

Fundamentally you need to use a more recent version of IUS which supports the newer simulator front end. Trying to simulate 45nm models with a 5 year old simulator is asking for trouble, I'm afraid, even if the parser had worked - there are inevitably going to be fixes you should be using, especially in AMS which has evolved. Your IC build is a similar vintage to the MMSIM62, but the IUS is considerably older...

Regards,

Andrew.

godfather
Community Member

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2009, 11:40pm

ok now i have all set to new amskit0611, assura615, ic0611, ius810, mmsim0701 and oa. now when run my design it does not allow me to enable ams plugin. below is the error which flashes. now inviting some more problem. plz help.

ERROR (HED): The AMS Plugin is not available for the Qt based Hierarchy Editor
in this release. The AMS Plugin is available for AMS Designer users by running
the legacy Java based Hierarchy Editor using the amsHED command. To invoke
amsHED from DFII you must set the "AMS_HED" variable in your environment
before running DFII. For example, C shell users may enter the following on the
command line before running DFII: 'setenv AMS_HED'

View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2009, 12:45am

try ignoring the AMS plugin.

Goto your Config view -- open the Config Schematic view
Open ADE normally; change simulator to AMS.

It's a parallel method to the simulator.

Undecided

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #6 - Feb 3rd, 2009, 9:10pm

As I said in response to a private post from mtech84, read the error message. It tells you exactly what to do!

In IC610/IC611, the AMS Plugin had not been migrated to work with the new Qt-based Hierarchy Editor, so the workaround was to set this environment variable (explained in the error message) to tell it to use the older Java-based Hierarchy Editor. In IC612 onwards, the AMS Plugin has been migrated, and this is no longer necessary - it works with the new Hierarchy Editor.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

godfather
Community Member

Reply #7 - Mar 12th, 2009, 9:22am

thnks for the reply... when i switch to ade option and load the saved state it freezes i have tried with all my designs, i donno why it freezes...

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #8 - Mar 22nd, 2009, 11:36pm

I don't know why it freezes either. Best to contact Cadence customer support - that's really the right channel to help debug problems like this.

Thanks,

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.