The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 1:34pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
number of runs in Monte carlo simulation (Read 1417 times)
filipe

Brasil
number of runs in Monte carlo simulation
Feb 10th, 2009, 2:40am

Hi,

How to estimate the minimum number of runs in a Monte carlo simulation???
I heard that this estimation can be calculated based on the central limit theorem.

Thanks
Filipe

View Profile filipe filipe   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Re: number of runs in Monte carlo simulation
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009, 3:59am

Hi Filipe,
sigma/sqrt(N) is a measure for the accuracy of the average because averaging N normally distributed random variables reduces the standard deviation by a factor of sqrt(N). [Edit: derived from Central limit theorem]
BOE

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2009, 9:25am by boe »  
View Profile   IP Logged
vivkr
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2009, 12:16am

Maybe a more concrete number for you. Typically, we are trying to estimate the moments of the distribution for a given parameter (mean and standard deviation) within a certain confidence level.

As a benchmark, 100 runs of Monte Carlo will typically give +/-2% accuracy in estimation of mean, and +/- 14% accuracy in estimation of the standard deviation. Doubling the number of runs will improve the accuracy by sqrt(2).

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2009, 1:20pm

Note also that spectre supports "Latin Hypercube Sampling" these days which tends to converge the standard deviation with fewer samples http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_hypercube.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
filipe

Brasil
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2009, 10:31am

Vivkr,

This is exactly my question. How can I calculate the accuracy of the mean and standard deviation? When can I find an explanation about it?

Thanks a lot
Filipe

vivkr wrote on Feb 12th, 2009, 12:16am:
Maybe a more concrete number for you. Typically, we are trying to estimate the moments of the distribution for a given parameter (mean and standard deviation) within a certain confidence level.

As a benchmark, 100 runs of Monte Carlo will typically give +/-2% accuracy in estimation of mean, and +/- 14% accuracy in estimation of the standard deviation. Doubling the number of runs will improve the accuracy by sqrt(2).

Best regards,

Vivek

View Profile filipe filipe   IP Logged
packiaraj

India
Reply #5 - Feb 27th, 2009, 6:09am

Filipe,

Guess you must have seen this link by now: Roll Eyes

http://www.financial-risk-manager.com/risks/market/mc_errors.html

The expression for error-in-"Mean" that you get from MC sims. BOE has indicated it almost correctly, though it is for only 1Sigma (~68% confidence-level in Normal Distribution).

Think we have to add this error-in-"Mean" to actual "Mean" when we say this is my Bandgap-output or Oscillator-frequency accuracy.

View Profile   IP Logged
analogue_guy
Community Member

Reply #6 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:43pm

filipe wrote on Feb 16th, 2009, 10:31am:
Vivkr,

This is exactly my question. How can I calculate the accuracy of the mean and standard deviation? When can I find an explanation about it?

Thanks a lot
Filipe

After running the Monte Carlos and collecting the results you can calculate confidence interval for mean,sigma.

One is based on Student-t deviation, the other is based on CHI-SQUARE deviation. You can find more details in every basic statistics books.

If you would like, I could look up the equations.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2009, 4:43pm

analogue_guy,

Could you please send me or post the equations and/or a reference that has this information?  I'm also interested.

Thanks!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.