The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 17th, 2024, 12:46am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
THD of Switched capacitor filter (Read 2678 times)
manodipan
Community Member

THD of Switched capacitor filter
Feb 17th, 2009, 3:36am

Hi friends,
I am simulating a switched cap filter operating at 10 MHz,now for THD calculation harmonics are to be taken upto what frequency??in continuous domain we consider upto infinity.but in this case output is sampled at 10MHz....thanks a lot...

View Profile   IP Logged
manodipan
Community Member

Re: THD of Switched capacitor filter
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2009, 4:24am

Hi ,
I have some more doubts......does amount of distortion has some relation to order of filter??
also for some spec of SC filter does suppose 2nd order distortion improve as we change the fundamental freq towards dc...what i have seen is that for suppose 300KHz cutoff ,better 2nd order distortion at 10KHz input than 100KHz  for same amplitude of input signal....

View Profile   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2009, 4:12am

manodipan wrote on Feb 17th, 2009, 4:24am:
Hi ,
I have some more doubts......does amount of distortion has some relation to order of filter??

it will have some influence.

manodipan wrote on Feb 17th, 2009, 4:24am:
also for some spec of SC filter does suppose 2nd order distortion improve as we change the fundamental freq towards dc...what i have seen is that for suppose 300KHz cutoff ,better 2nd order distortion at 10KHz input than 100KHz  for same amplitude of input signal....

it is not good to choose the sampling freq as a harmonic of your input. try to use another input freq.

View Profile   IP Logged
Visjnoe

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2009, 11:29am

Dear Manopidan,

1. Yes, in theory you should consider all harmonics 'upto infinity' to calculate THD,
   but in practice you can end the summation after the first n (n=3,n=5,n=10?) since
   the higher harmonics will have less and less power and eventually slide under the
   noise floor.

2. Sampling makes no difference. If your harmonic > Fs, than it will simply fold back
   into your baseband ([-Fs/2,Fs/2]).

3. Use an RF simulator if you can, you will gain a lot of simulation time versus
   the transient analysis approach.

Regards

Peter

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.