The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 6th, 2024, 4:34am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Voltage Reliability in Power-Down Mode (Read 6524 times)
Berti
Community Fellow

Voltage Reliability in Power-Down Mode
Feb 17th, 2009, 5:37am

Hi everybody,

I have the attached simple vt-reference circuit which uses low voltage (3.3V) transistors but it connected to a high voltage supply (4.2V). In power-down mode, the switches connected to ENA are off. Consequently, the vds of the individual transistors will depend on the leakage path which unfortunately is only poorly control over process and temperature.
Does anybody has an idea how to make sure that the transistors don't see a too high vds (e.g. by adding cascode transistors etc.?)?

Cheers

pic_001.jpg
View Profile   IP Logged
NiceFeng

Re: Voltage Reliability in Power-Down Mode
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2009, 11:15pm

Hi,Berti,

My two cents:

Do not completely turn off the block, but biasing it with very low current, say 10nA, thus make sure each transistor works in a somewhat predictable status with reasonable Vds.

BTW, isn't it a current generator? Can it also be used as a vt-reference circuit?

Regards,
Feng

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2009, 11:42pm

Hi Feng,

Thank for the idea.

Quote:
BTW, isn't it a current generator? Can it also be used as a vt-reference circuit?

It is a current generator. I call it vt-reference as the current is given by I=Vt/R.
I think also P. Gray/R. Meyer call this circuit a vt-reference in their book.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
safwatonline

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2009, 1:03pm

doesn't shorting the gate of the PMOS mirror to Vdd do it?

View Profile   IP Logged
Berti
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2009, 5:21am

I think shorting the PMOS gate to vdd doesn't avoid problems. A very small leakage current will still flow which will determine the voltages .. like a highly-ohmic resistive divider which is very sensitive to process variations.

In the meantime I added cascade devices to the circuit will are always connected to a very weak bias voltage.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
safwatonline

Reply #5 - Jul 29th, 2009, 8:44am

U can (in addition to the PMOS switch) you can add a series switch that disconnects the gate of the diode connected MOS from its drain.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.