The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 1:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
forward power measurement in spectre (Read 2761 times)
tempora123

forward power measurement in spectre
Feb 24th, 2009, 9:51am

Hello,

I would like to TRAN simulate a circuit applying a waveform with fixed forward power and sweep the frequency of this waveform.  I know the input impedance of the circuit but it is frequency dependent. Therefore, I have a question if this setup is possible in spectre? And how to measure forward power applied?

Thank you for your suggestions.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Re: forward power measurement in spectre
Reply #1 - Feb 25th, 2009, 4:57am

I can't understand meaning of your question.

tempora123 wrote on Feb 24th, 2009, 9:51am:
I would like to TRAN simulate a circuit applying a waveform with fixed forward power and sweep the frequency of this waveform.
What do you mean by forward power ?

If you mean decomposition of power to incident and reflected power, incident power is equivalent to available power of Signal Generator(=port in EDA Tool).

By using actual instruments such as Signal Generator, Directional Coupler, Power meter, etc., show maesurement diagram you want to emulate in EDA Tool.

http://www.designers-guide.org/Forum/YaBB.pl?num=1235554986/0#0
It seems that you don't understand incident(forward), reflected(reverse) powers and power dissipated in load and very basic RF common sense.

Pdis=Pinc-Pref=Pinc*(1-abs(Gamma)**2)

Here
  Pinc=incident(forward)Power=Available Power,
  Pref=reflected(reverse) Power,
  Pdis=power dissipated in load or terminal power(power delivered to load),
  Gamma=Voltage Wave Refelection Coefficient.

Power setting value of actual Signal Generator or Port in EDA Tool is incident power, that is, available power. It is not Pdis.

How do you define Pdis in transient analysis ?
Even though you use single tone sinusoidal drive, voltages and currents at terminal of load are never single tone.
So it is fairly difficult to keep constant value of Pdis for any frequency and any load.
But it is possible. At least you can do it by Cadence Spectre if you have correct and wide RF knowledge.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2009, 6:14am by pancho_hideboo »  
View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
tempora123

Re: forward power measurement in spectre
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2009, 10:00am

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I confused the terms indeed but your post clarified the issue enough.

BR.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.