The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 16th, 2024, 2:20am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
automated simulation of hysteresis (Read 8930 times)
analogue_guy
Community Member

automated simulation of hysteresis
Mar 02nd, 2009, 12:38pm

hi

how do you simulate hysteresis behaviour automatically?

cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: automated simulation of hysteresis
Reply #1 - Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:40pm

The conventional way is to do a DC sweep in one direction, and then a second in the opposite direction. Spectre can do this simply by adding hysteresis=yes to the dc analysis (there's a checkbox on the dc form in ADE for this too). You can also just do two dc analyses, specifying the sweeps in different directions (from a netlist).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
analogue_guy
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 4:35am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:40pm:
The conventional way is to do a DC sweep in one direction, and then a second in the opposite direction. Spectre can do this simply by adding hysteresis=yes to the dc analysis (there's a checkbox on the dc form in ADE for this too). You can also just do two dc analyses, specifying the sweeps in different directions (from a netlist).

Regards,

Andrew.

Thanks for the answer, formerly I used always transient simulation with a voltage ramp and I wanted a setup to run plenty of monte carlo runs and just keep the hysteresis window value after every runs.

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Reply #3 - Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:04pm

Andrew,

I simulated hysteresis as analogue_guy did. A slowly rising/falling slope was applied to the input of DUT.

The DC hysteresis sweep is new to me. In my mind, the simulator solves the operating point of DUT in each step of a DC sweep independently. For eg., let the simulator sweep from 1V to 2V by 0.1V step. It will solve the operating point of 1.0V, 1.1V ... 1.9V, 2V respectively and independently. As well known, the hysteresis is not memoryless. The output is strongly decided by the previous state. How does spectre simulator solve this problem by DC hysteresis sweep?

Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2009, 1:18am

Yawei, Quote:
... It will solve the operating point of 1.0V, 1.1V ... 1.9V, 2V respectively and independently. As well known, the hysteresis is not memoryless. The output is strongly decided by the previous state. How does spectre simulator solve this problem by DC hysteresis sweep?
Using solution of previous step as initial guess for next step reduces computation time and provides previous state.
BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2009, 1:30am

That's right - the starting point for each point in the sweep is the previous point, and so you will generally see the hysteresis. Of course, if the hysteresis is based upon some capacitative charge storage, then DC won't do - but in many cases it's sufficient (and quick!).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
analogue_guy
Community Member

Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2009, 7:57am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Mar 4th, 2009, 1:30am:
That's right - the starting point for each point in the sweep is the previous point, and so you will generally see the hysteresis. Of course, if the hysteresis is based upon some capacitative charge storage, then DC won't do - but in many cases it's sufficient (and quick!).

Regards,

Andrew.

Yes, the DC sweep works, hysteresis function can be seen. But comparing the results with the transient results I can see that the circuit is less sensitive for statistical variations (using the MC).

But could you recommend me any technique to translate these results (either the DC sweep or transient) to only a number in every run (basically the difference between the two values) and I could deal only with these number afterwards.

At the moment I save the whole waveforms in both cases (DC sweep and transient). But it required more time, also post processing, so it is not that comfortable.

Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
boe
Community Fellow

Reply #7 - Mar 5th, 2009, 1:25am

Analogue_guy,
You can use function "cross" to determine where the comparator output changes.
Is that what you are looking for?
BOE

View Profile   IP Logged
analogue_guy
Community Member

Reply #8 - Mar 5th, 2009, 12:16pm

boe wrote on Mar 5th, 2009, 1:25am:
Analogue_guy,
You can use function "cross" to determine where the comparator output changes.
Is that what you are looking for?
BOE

Thanks, I looked for this kind of solution. I will try to do so.
Cheers

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.