The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 18th, 2024, 2:21am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to simulate DC/DC converter stability? (Read 3069 times)
Steven C.

How to simulate DC/DC converter stability?
Apr 14th, 2009, 6:54pm

Hey guys,

I have some difficulty with simulating the stability of DC/DC converter. Right now, I got two ideas to deal with that.
1. Create a linear model for the PWM blocks, and run "stb" analysis. Is this result trustable?
2. Run "pss+pstb" analyses. The problem is I dont even know how to do it. Could somebody teach me how to do this?

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: How to simulate DC/DC converter stability?
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2009, 2:55am

I've done this with PSS + PSTB, and it works well.

Assuming you have some kind of clock pulse for your DC to DC converter, you should be able to run PSS with that period or frequency specified. You might need to give it a tstab time to allow it to get started (although this doesn't normally need to be the time for it to be settled).

Then place an iprobe in the feedback circuit, and setup pstb analysis to point to that and sweep the frequency so you can analyse the loop gain.

If you contact me at Cadence (my email address is my first name followed by the first letter of my surname, at cadence dot com), then I can send you a presentation on this that I gave at a National Microelectronics Institute Power Electronics event last year (in the UK).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Steven C.

Re: How to simulate DC/DC converter stability?
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2009, 7:17pm

Dear Andrew, very appreciate about your reply. And its so great that I came to the right place for seeking this help.

Could you please send me a copy you gave last year in UK, it will be so helpful.

Thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.