The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 1:32am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Frequency response of switched cap filter (Read 8356 times)
manodipan
Community Member

Frequency response of switched cap filter
Apr 22nd, 2009, 3:35am

Hi all,
actually i need frequency response of SC filter from an impulse ....so what i do is for a 1.2V Sc filter i give an impulse of height 1.2V(0-1.2V) for one clk cycle to sample and then keep it zero...so i get the output response which goes to negative side also....now in general circuit components won't operate that way....so for that case how to get frequency response...
thanks a lot....
Manodipan

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Re: Frequency response of switched cap filter
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:17am

Manopidan,

A very nice quality of discrete-time analog systems such as switched capacitor filters (and delta-sigma modulators) is that if all their switch on-resistances, amplifier open loop gains, slew rates and capacitor voltage settling times are "ok" and the input signal is bandlimited according to Nyquist rules, then their frequency response can be calculated by converting their H(z) to H(s) = f(C1, C2, ..., fsample).  You should do this algebra before designing the filter, or if taking over for somebody else, do the algebra before wasting your time dicking around with capacitance values.

Beyond that, you could use a step input rather than an impulse, then differentiate the step response to get your impulse response.

Best of luck,

Bob P.
www.RPeruzzi.com

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:43am

Manopidan,

I mistakenly assumed your question was about designing or modifying switched cap filters.  When I posted my reply and backed out to the forum I then noticed your question appears in "Other Measurements". Let me revise my answer by posing a question:

Is your measurement intended for production automated test equipment (ATE) or for laboratory analysis?

For ATE I would suggest creating a "multi-tone" comprising frequencies below, near, and above the corner frequency.  Choosing your test frequencies so they are related to your sampling frequency will give you very sharp frequency bin separation and eliminate the need for windowing.  Ask your ATE vendor's FAE for details.  (But now I wonder if capturing and checking a step response would provide adequate functional coverage, with shorter test time, for production testing?  Related to my initial response.)

For laboratory analysis, I would suggest using a swept frequency source and a scope.  Or you could do the same as in the ATE test using an arbitrary waveform generator and a spectrum analyzer.

Hope this is more helpful.

Bob P.
www.RPeruzzi.com

View Profile   IP Logged
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:06am

Manodipan,
Have your checked following link.

www.ee.iitm.ac.in/~nagendra/E4215/2004/handouts/scfsim.pdf

In this handout simulating Switched Cap is nicely explained.

Regards,
C. A.

View Profile   IP Logged
manodipan
Community Member

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:51am

Hi,
thanks for your nice reply.....actually i want to know that the opamps have some output range and due to that reason if we give an impulseof height =supply voltage,it may not give me proper samples thus leading to improper frequency response.....also for testing we can use this method to determine freq response using this method than using a swept frequency signal generator.......

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:12am

Hi Manopidan,

Include "all op-amps within their linear operating range" to the list of requirements which must be "ok" for a switched-cap system to work properly.  And it's likely that an input step from VSS to VDD violates that requirement.

I repeat my question. What kind of testing? Lab or ATE? Production or evaluation?

Best regards,

Bob P.
www.RPeruzzi.com

View Profile   IP Logged
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:09am

I think frequency response of an amplifier makes sense only when all the transistors are in sturation region.  For this input swing should be smaller than input differntial range of an amplifier.

It is not clear to me whether you are trying see frequency response in simulation or in experimental set up.

Regards
CA

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.