The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 11:22am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
pole/zero analysis (Read 4923 times)
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
pole/zero analysis
Jun 08th, 2009, 10:45pm

hi,
   In hspice i am getting list of all poles and zero's, i just want to know in hspice is there any way to find which pole is corresponding to which node. I used to see every node phase shift whichever have more shift that is dominant and remaining also like that only, but what abut complex poles?

thanks for your time

rajasekhar.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Re: pole/zero analysis
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2009, 12:31am

Hi Rajasekhar,

Question: Why do you expect that each pole does correspond to a certain node within the circuit ?
Think of an active filter of 2nd degree. The complete circuit may exhibit 2...4 nodes (sometimes even more) - and which node belongs to the pole ? It canīt be answered.

LvW (buddypoor: In memory of the great late Buddy Rich)
View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2009, 1:04am

hi buddypoor,
                      thanks for your answer and what my intension is lets say hspice gave some 6 poles now i want to move 2nd and 3rd dominate pole to higher value, so i need which node is giving those poles so that i can compensate them. Interestingly in one my opamp 2nd dominate pole is complex i just want from where it is originated?

Thanks
Rajasekhar.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2009, 4:40am

Yes, I understand the problem. However, for my understanding a real pole belongs ton RC combination (not necessarily to be identified as a single R or a single C) and , theoretically, it can be allocated to one specific node. But a complex pole pair belongs either to an LC resonance circuit (not in your case) or to a part which includes some sort of feedback - and thatīs a circuitry which certainly has more than one node. However, it should be possible to identify this part of the circuit - at least by inspecting/modifying the capacitances belonging to it. Would this approach work ?
LvW

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2009, 5:17am

hi,
   i will try but i am getting complex pole for an telescopic op amp in open loop, up to my knowledge there shouldn't be any complex for open loop. For finding pole if you see particular node wave form that will  have more phase advance (means node associated with dominate will give phase shift earlier than 2nd dominate  and complex pole means phase shift from 0 180 suddenly.)

thanks,
rajasekhar.

buddypoor
Community Fellow

Bremen, Germany
Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2009, 5:39am

raja.cedt wrote on Jun 9th, 2009, 5:17am:
hi,
   i will try but i am getting complex pole for an telescopic op amp in open loop, up to my knowledge there shouldn't be any complex for open loop................

In this case, there should be a hidden feedback path within your circuitry (for example CB-capacitances).

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2009, 9:04am

hi buddypoor,
                   your guess is correct, but it less gain loop i think you can visualize whats the loop (It is a nmos based telescopic opamp and pmos load is diode with wide swing) ,so may be that's the culprit..

thanks,
Rajasekhar.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.