The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 4:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help in using stb (Read 949 times)
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Help in using stb
Jun 17th, 2009, 11:10pm

hi, there,

If I unbalance an ota, meaning non-zero differential output and input, the stb analysis result is depending on where i place the cmdm probe.  If i place cmdm probe before the ota, it gives me a reasonable result; if the cmdm probe is placed after the ota, it gives much higher dc gain. Actucally, dc gain with unbalanced opamp is lower than the gain in balanced condition, which is proved in my dc simulation.

if the same ota is balanced, the stb result is then not dependent on the location of cmdm probe.

it seems to me the cmdm probe has trouble if it sees large differential dc signal. Anyone has similiar experience?

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
wave

Silicon Valley
Re: Help in using stb
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2009, 8:17pm

RobertZ wrote on Jun 17th, 2009, 11:10pm:
hi, there,

If I unbalance an ota, meaning non-zero differential output and input, the stb analysis result is depending on where i place the cmdm probe.  If i place cmdm probe before the ota, it gives me a reasonable result; if the cmdm probe is placed after the ota, it gives much higher dc gain. Actucally, dc gain with unbalanced opamp is lower than the gain in balanced condition, which is proved in my dc simulation.

if the same ota is balanced, the stb result is then not dependent on the location of cmdm probe.

it seems to me the cmdm probe has trouble if it sees large differential dc signal. Anyone has similiar experience?

First, clarify if you are simulating DM or CM.
Either way, a differential circuit can have a rather strange behavior, if a large signal changes the gain or load into triode on either side.
If you are doing things properly, it shouldn't matter where in the loop it is broken --- assuming it's really the same loop.

Wave Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
RobertZ
Community Member

the art of analog

San Diego, CA
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2009, 12:00am

wave wrote on Jun 18th, 2009, 8:17pm:
RobertZ wrote on Jun 17th, 2009, 11:10pm:
hi, there,

First, clarify if you are simulating DM or CM.
Either way, a differential circuit can have a rather strange behavior, if a large signal changes the gain or load into triode on either side.
If you are doing things properly, it shouldn't matter where in the loop it is broken --- assuming it's really the same loop.

Wave Roll Eyes

Hi, Wave,
I am simulating DM loop, cmdm is set to -1. I applied differential signals from small to large. The loop gain starts increasing at the beginning, then decreasing. No transistors go into triode region in all the cases I tried. I also check dc gain (by sweeping differential  input/output and take their ratio) and I know dc gain should monotonically drop with increasing differential output for my circuit. I break the loop at posistion A, since it is a common point.
I know I am not supposed to break at B, but somehow, stb analysis with this choice gives me the result I expected, meaning decreasing low frequency loop gain.

Thanks,
Robert

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009, 10:23am by RobertZ »  

Drawing9.png

Thanks,
Robert
View Profile   IP Logged
Frank Wiedmann
Community Fellow

Munich, Germany
Reply #3 - Jun 19th, 2009, 5:16am

I am afraid that neither this method, nor the alternative one using ideal baluns that I present on my webpage http://sites.google.com/site/frankwiedmann/loopgain are designed for circuits that are not completely symmetric (and balanced), so I would not expect them to work correctly in other cases.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.