The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 2nd, 2024, 1:52am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
gear2 , conservative , and currents in Spectre (Read 4559 times)
kevinvinv

gear2 , conservative , and currents in Spectre
Jun 23rd, 2009, 3:42pm

I've been reading the "Designers Guide to Spice and Spectre" a bit since I've been seeing some heavily ringing (but smooth) device currents in a recent circuit.  The ringing pretty much goes away if I choose Conservative (Spectre) and gear2only.

What is the general thought-  is it risky to assume these rings are then numerical in nature or should I search the circuit more for a possible real-life source.

Community Fellow

Oxford, UK
Re: gear2 , conservative , and currents in Spectre
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2009, 3:45am

You'll need to check for possible real causes. For example, does the ringing a have a defined frequency ? Does your small signal stability analysis stretch far enough to capture that frequency ?
It also depends on your circuit type and where/when the ringing occurs as to whether the judgement can be made to discount it. For example ringing on a digital level after switching isn't something you might care about unless it grows.

View Profile   IP Logged
Marq Kole

Hmmm. That's
weird...

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2009, 12:34am

A simple test in this case can be to extend the simulation time or change the maximum step size in the transient analysis - if the frequency of the ringing is sensitive to these it is more likely to be a numerical artifact. If only the amplitude changes then the frequency is probably determined by your circuit components and the origin is more likely to be teh design itself.

Marq

View Profile   IP Logged
byang
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2009, 12:51pm

To verify whether it is Trapezoidal ringing, there is one thing one can check.  One can plot the waveform in "point" style. The waveform needs to look like :
i.e. up and down and no point in between. This is numerical artifact.

Since the waveform looks "smooth", maybe it is not Trap ringing.

Gear2 method has numerical damping while Trap method has no numerical damping. Gear2 may dampen small oscillation even if it is real.

Baolin Yang
Gemini Design Technology, Inc.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.