The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 23rd, 2024, 10:07am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Next RF CMOS Killer App (Read 5390 times)
emad

Cairo, Egypt
Next RF CMOS Killer App
Jul 07th, 2009, 9:37am

Is there still hope in a killer RF product?
I mean with most problems in RF CMOS sorted out and products riding the price curve, where, you think, all of this RF design talent go?

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Re: Next RF CMOS Killer App
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2009, 7:22pm

Unfortunately, RF is just a means to an end. The "end" always is the killer app, not the RF part.

In other words, while radios are technologically advanced, the everyday consumer doesn't care so much about the radio. Instead, they care that they can talk, at will, to anyone or open a garage without getting out of the car ...

It has been nice that integrated radio has had a great run for the past 20 years, but the killer apps are in the software and user interface these days (it seems).

Although, I still don't understand why low power radio has not replaced infrared transmitters for remote controls. You would think that such a low power application would have advanced after so many years. Just think, a solar powered wireless remote might last for decades without batteries. I guess it is just not meant to be.

Well there you go.
We can unlock our car doors for almost a decade without new batteries, but we need new AAA batteries every half year or so with our entertainment remotes. Some mountains are immovable.

On the other hand, millions of dollars went into UWB. And maybe millions more on 60 GHz SiGe and CMOS. What is going to become of those markets?

In the meantime, digital cellular is still consolidating and maturing, so it is difficult to see where the new RF killer apps are going to be.

Sorry for the gloomy reply.

View Profile   IP Logged
emad

Cairo, Egypt
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2009, 5:47am

Thanks RFICDUDE.

I would agree with you that some mundane RF receivers are still needed in mundane applications like a remote control or a garage door opener. These remain non-killer apps still.
We've seen so much growth in the wireless market since 1990s, indded. Despite the market consolidation and maturity symptoms, wireless is meant to stay. It is basically an irreversible trend much like the internet. In fact, perhaps more wireless is yet to come using short range communication devices and getting them to communicate without human intervention. An example is metering. Is that a killer? I don't know.  
The more the wireless, the lower the power required apparently.... but still, if you're to bet on a startup or build one, which one would yo u pick?

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2009, 2:59am

Right now I don't know, but next year I might be asking the same question.

Although, health monitoring and green/smart energy seem to be the hot topic of the day.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.