The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Temperature Simulation (Read 5565 times)
Mariusz

Temperature Simulation
Aug 18th, 2009, 1:51pm

Does anyone know how to run a transient simulation over time and at some point change the temperature.  I would like to see the response to a temperature change over time.  This is a temperature sensor circuit and I am using spectre.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Temperature Simulation
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2009, 5:30am

Code:
tran1 tran stop=0.5u param=temp param_vec=[0 20 50n 25] param_step=0 

which will have the temperature at 20 degrees until 50ns when it will change to 25. Or:

Code:
tran1 tran stop=0.5u param=temp param_vec=[0 20 50n 25] param_step=10n 

This will take 10ns steps between  the temperature values at 0s and 50ns, so will rise by 1 degree every 10ns.

In ADE the param, param_vec, param_step fields do not appear (yet) on the tran analysis options form, so you'll need to type these parameters in the "Additional Parameters" field at the bottom of the tran options form.

This capability was added in MMSIM62, so you'll need to use a version of spectre which is MMSIM62 or later.

Generally I would advise against taking too big a temperature change in one go because this potentially could lead to convergence difficulties as you suddenly introduced a big discontinuity into the simulation (and of course, that would be completely unrealistic).

Best Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Mariusz

Reply #2 - Aug 19th, 2009, 6:00am

Thank you very much.  This is exactly what I was looking for and it works great!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile   IP Logged
ahmadyan

Iran
Reply #3 - Sep 9th, 2009, 7:06am

I want to do the similar simulation, do you know this kind of transient simulation for hsim?
I tried to get this spectre netlist to hsim but it doesn't support this kind of param.

Andrew Beckett wrote on Aug 19th, 2009, 5:30am:
Code:
tran1 tran stop=0.5u param=temp param_vec=[0 20 50n 25] param_step=0 

which will have the temperature at 20 degrees until 50ns when it will change to 25. Or:

Code:
tran1 tran stop=0.5u param=temp param_vec=[0 20 50n 25] param_step=10n 

This will take 10ns steps between  the temperature values at 0s and 50ns, so will rise by 1 degree every 10ns.

In ADE the param, param_vec, param_step fields do not appear (yet) on the tran analysis options form, so you'll need to type these parameters in the "Additional Parameters" field at the bottom of the tran options form.

This capability was added in MMSIM62, so you'll need to use a version of spectre which is MMSIM62 or later.

Generally I would advise against taking too big a temperature change in one go because this potentially could lead to convergence difficulties as you suddenly introduced a big discontinuity into the simulation (and of course, that would be completely unrealistic).

Best Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2009, 5:26am

I can't answer, as I don't have access to hsim. But you might want to try reading (or searching) the hsim documentation. I would imagine that if it is supported, it's documented somewhere...

Regards,

Andrew.

Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Sep 10th, 2009, 5:30am

And BTW, for spectre, it's now in the ADE tran analysis GUI, since 5.10.41.500.6.138. I think for IC613 it will be in 6.1.3.500.14.

Regards,

Andrew.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.