The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:27am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phase noise to jittter in verilogA (Read 2140 times)
nandy

Timbuktu
Phase noise to jittter in verilogA
Sep 09th, 2009, 5:38am

Hi

I have simulated pss and pnoise of a VCO and have extracted a table of its phase noise vs frequency in dBc/Hz. Now I need to estimate how much jitter this contributes to a PLL loop. For this I have a PLL loop with ideal elements, but I want the ideal VCO block to take the phase noise table of the actual VCO as its input and produce the corresponding jitter at its output. How do I do it? Can I do it using VerilogA?

View Profile   IP Logged
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Re: Phase noise to jittter in verilogA
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2009, 7:38am

Hi nandy,

Calculate the integrated phase noise based on the extracted table of VCO phase noise. Given it is dominated by white noise, the integrated phase noise is the rms jitter of VCO output. The unit is degree or radian now. Convert the unit to second. Describe your VCO with the rms jitter and do transient simulation.

Probably the rms jitter is too small to be detectable in the transient simulation. Sad Personally I prefer an analytical model to derive the rms jitter of the PLL output.

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.