The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Aug 15th, 2024, 4:25pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two Calculator Functions -- rmsNoise and spectralPower (Read 3469 times)
ywguo
Community Fellow

Shanghai, PRC
Two Calculator Functions -- rmsNoise and spectralPower
Oct 05th, 2009, 8:42pm

Hi Guys,

I try to caluclate SNR of a DAC output in Cadence Calculator. Can you please explain the two Calculator functions?

Quote:
rmsNoise -- Computes the integrated root-mean-square of the total output noise over the bandwidth specified in hertz in the From and To fields.This function is available only in the SKILL mode.

Is this function for AC signal only?

Quote:
spectralPower -- Plots the spectral power for the specified current waveform and voltage waveform. This function is available only in the SKILL mode.

Current waveform is the current waveform for which you which you want to calculate the spectral power.

Voltage waveform is the voltage waveform for which you which you want to calculate the spectral power

Why does this function needs two argument, voltage and current? How does it culculate the spectral power?

Best Regards,
Yawei

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Two Calculator Functions -- rmsNoise and spectralPower
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2010, 3:33am

Yuwei,

Rather late reply, but for the record...

rmsNoise uses the results from a noise analysis, and computes the root mean square of the noise output.

spectralPower this needs both the current and the voltage (so it can compute the power, it needs both the voltage and current, since this is coming from an AC analysis). It calculates 0.5*real(V*conjugate(I)) .

Regards,

Andrew,

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.