The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 4:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble with veriloga in Spectre 6.x simulator (Read 1107 times)
McSim

Moscow, Russia
Trouble with veriloga in Spectre 6.x simulator
Nov 10th, 2009, 7:44am

Hi all!

I have a problem with Verilog-A modeling in Spectre 6.x.

I use BSIM3 model implemented in Verilog-A by Geoffrey Coram (the file was available at Silvaco and then - at Simucad site some time ago). See attached file. I have successfully used it with Spectre 5.1.41.

My "standard" task is to simulate MOSFET DC characteristics. Transistor is taken from PDK. In model file there is a subckt which uses the instance described as Verilog-A module (using "ahdl_include"). All SPICE parameters are described as instance parameters (instance inside subcircuit):

inline subckt nmos_tn (d g s b)
parameters w=1E-7 l=1E-7 PAR=1 as=0 ad=0 ps=0 pd=0 nrd=0 nrs=0
nmos_tn (d g s b) bsim3mos W=w L=l AD=ad AS=as PD=pd PS=ps ...
+ TYPE=1
+ U0=0.035597185
ends nmos_tn

, where "bsim3mos" is verilog-A module.

But when I try to simulate this with Spectre 6.0 or even with Spectre 6.2 some Verilog-A module parameters are not recognized as instance parameters by simulator (and some parameters, e.g. W, L, TYPE and TOX are still recognized, but U0 isn't). Warning message is generated:

"U0 is not a valid parameter for an instance bsim3mos. Ignored"

And then characteristics with default values (defined in Verilog-A module) of parameters are simulated.

Could you help me to solve this problem or just give an advice how should I search the possible reasons?

P.S. By the way, does anybody know why the files with Verilog-A MOSFET models are not available now?

View Profile   IP Logged
McSim

Moscow, Russia
Re: Trouble with veriloga in Spectre 6.x simulator
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2009, 3:39am

I've solved my problem... The reason was just one string in simulator options:

simulator lang=spectre insensitive=yes

The correct variant is following:

simulator lang=spectre

There was intrinsic conflict with parameters in upper register (which were instance parameters) and lower register (local variables).

View Profile   IP Logged
cryogenic

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2011, 11:32pm

Hi,

I am working on low temperature MOSFET modeling, for which verilog-a implementation of BSIM3 model is required. I could not locate it at the SILVACO site or from any other source. If someone who has the code could share it, that would have been really helpful.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2011, 9:56am

McSim seems to have posted it -- "See attached file." in the first post of this thread.

Note: I didn't actually write this file, I just offered some suggestions for improvements.  Silvaco then credited me, but not their employee who did all the real work.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
McSim

Moscow, Russia
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2011, 12:09am

cryogenic, I've answered via e-mail.

I've modified the "original" file from Silvaco a little bit to make it compatible with Spectre simulator. This modified file is attached in the first post.

View Profile   IP Logged
cryogenic

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2011, 11:17pm

Thanks Dr. Coram and McSim for you replies. I could get the file from the first post in the thread.

McSim, I got your email as well. Thanks a lot for the information you have passed on.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.