The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 28th, 2024, 5:39am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
relation between group delay variation and horizontal eye closure (Read 3068 times)
vivkr
Community Fellow

relation between group delay variation and horizontal eye closure
Dec 15th, 2009, 7:18am

I have a front-end which has rather significant group delay variation when I perform an AC sim. The group delay varies from lower to higher frequencies within the band of interest by about 25% of the bit period.

I would logically expect that a PRBS simulation would show the eye closing in the X-direction by a similar amount. However, such a PRBS-sim shows negligible closure in the X-direction.

I have checked that I really do have a PRBS input, and that I have taken a large enough number of samples (5000 or so). Is my understanding of the relationship between group delay variation and eye closure incorrect ? Note: The model being used is linear.

Regards,

Vivek

View Profile   IP Logged
love_analog

Re: relation between group delay variation and horizontal eye closure
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2010, 2:05pm

eye closure would occur because of ISI (ie Bandwidth limitation). It might be you are getting group delay variation due to some other factors (other than BW limitation).

loveanalog.blogspot.com
The Power of Analog
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.