The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
May 18th, 2024, 8:09pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verilog-A with HSPICE (Read 178 times)
shary

Verilog-A with HSPICE
Jan 05th, 2010, 4:00pm

I'm a new user and am trying to simulate a test resistor.va module with hspice on a linux machine. I've set the environmental variables HSP_HOME and PATH as per instructions in the HSPICE installation guide. However, I still get the error for my first line: `include "disciplines.vams".
hsp-vacomp: Error: File not found 'disciplines.vams' in search path '.'

Why does it look for the file in search path '.' when the $PATH contains the paths for install and include directories? Is there a special variable or way to set the paths?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
patrick

Santa Rosa, CA.
Re: Verilog-A with HSPICE
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2010, 4:12pm

Assuming you installed HSPICE in say,

/myApps/C-2009.09

then just add

export PATH=/myApps/C-2009.09/hspice/bin:$PATH

to your path and there should be no need to set HSP_HOME. This was only required on earlier releases, maybe as far back as 2006.03.

Patrick

View Profile   IP Logged
shary

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2010, 2:48pm

The verilog-a compiler seems to be searching for the file disciplines.vams in search path '.' when compiling the .va code. It is able to find the executables it needs in the <PATH>/hspice/bin after using the export command to update $PATH, but is not able to find include files.

The file is located in /myApps/C-2009.09/hspice/linux/veriloga_utils/veriloga/include/disciplines.vams

Is there a way to provide this path to search for the include files? Right now it is only searching the current working directory.

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
patrick

Santa Rosa, CA.
Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2010, 3:48pm

What version and platform are you using?

View Profile   IP Logged
shary

Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2010, 1:03pm

Its Redhat Linux, hspice 2009.09 and verilog-a compiler version is 1.83.100.080509.

View Profile   IP Logged
patrick

Santa Rosa, CA.
Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2010, 1:21pm

The wrapper scripts in the INSTALL_DIR/bin set HSP_HOME and other variables that the VA compiler uses to find the system include files. If all you do is add this bin dir to your path you should be good to go, for example install dir as:

/myApps/C-2009.09

then just add

export PATH=/myApps/C-2009.09/hspice/bin:$PATH

to your path (I'm assuming bash syntax here). Type,

>which hspice

it should point to:

/myApps/C-2009.09/hspice/bin/hspice

does it? Verify that this is the  hspice script and not the exe:

>file $(which hspice)

does this say "C shell script..."?

This script sets HSP_HOME and I think a couple other variables. If it's not  the script then you're path is set incorrectly. change your path to point to the wrapper scripts.

The compiler search path is:

.:$HSP_HOME/veriloga_utils/include

and since the wrapper in the bin directory sets HSP_HOME it should just work.

Hope that helps.

Patrick

View Profile   IP Logged
shary

Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2010, 2:50pm

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed response. For my 2009.09 installation, 'which hspice' returned '/myApps/C-2009.09/hspice/linux/hspice' which was an exe, not a shell script. Is this an installation problem?

I reverted to my old hspice 2007.12 installation, and that had the hspice shell script in the bin file, which sets the HSP_HOME variable. On using this hspice, I get the error '/myApps/C-2007.12/hspice/linux/veriloga_utils/tools/x86/bin/ld: cannot open crti.o: No such file or directory'. Is that too an installation error?

Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
patrick

Santa Rosa, CA.
Reply #7 - Jan 8th, 2010, 3:26pm

Is there no directory called:

/myApps/C-2009.09/hspice/bin

there should be, no? and that's where the wrapper script called 'hspice' exists. Just put that directory in your path and all will be well. Read my previous post.

On the compilation issue, if you are on a 64-bit machine running 32-bit hspice then you need to be able to compile 32-bit shared libs. Look for "multilib problem" in the HSPICE manual for details or use hspice64 on this system.

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2010, 6:17am

shary wrote on Jan 8th, 2010, 2:50pm:
Thanks for the detailed response. For my 2009.09 installation, 'which hspice' returned '/myApps/C-2009.09/hspice/linux/hspice' which was an exe, not a shell script. Is this an installation problem?

I would say so; I just checked my installation of 2009.09, and it finds [whatever]/synopsys/hspice/2009.09/bin/hspice is a shell script.

[whatever]/synopsys/hspice/2009.09/linux/hspice is a binary, but this is not the path you should be adding to your $PATH

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.