The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 16th, 2024, 10:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem with bandgap simulations (Read 151 times)
yvkrishna

problem with bandgap simulations
Jan 21st, 2010, 3:34am

I am working on bandgap voltage reference circuit(very much the same as shown in fig) and use a variant of spice for simulations, since I am not  sure that simulator is capable of simulating selfbiased circuits,  I started using .IC statements for avoiding the problem  of startup(as amp here is self biased).

in the fig shown below  I initialise the nodes biasp to 0V and n18 to vdd (as they move in opposite directions in an all zero soln when it fails to startup)

doing so i was not successful always, still it fails to give a correct op soln to the circuit. it settles in an intermediate op pt in which nodes are neither at 0,vdd(all zero soln) nor at the correct op pt i expect.

Is this way of using .IC for avoiding startup correct?  does this have any issues?
OR
does this circuit really have another stable op pt ? if so how to avoid it?

thanks,
vamshi

bg.PNG
View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Re: problem with bandgap simulations
Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2010, 9:15am

Vamshi,

Did you perform transient or DC simulation. If DC and you are sweeping the VDD, then the .IC makes no difference since IC is initial condition when your VDD value is '0' and thus IC will have no affect, if VDD=0 at that point, circuit will not start-up properly.

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2010, 8:30pm

yes i am aware of that, i was taking about transient simulations only.

thanks,
vamshi

View Profile   IP Logged
ic_engr

Reply #3 - Jan 22nd, 2010, 5:33am

Okay.

The problem with BG circuits is that unless you have a proper start-up circuit, IC may not gurantee a proper star-up, unless the circuit noise itself is large enough to start the BG. But the BG you have is known to be hard to start-up, I refer you to Banba's paper.

First, you should try having  a start-up circuit where the circuit will pull down the gates of PMOS switches, until the outptu is stabilized, and then use the output to shut-off the BG circuit.

ic_engr

View Profile   IP Logged
yvkrishna

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2010, 2:23am

thanks for the reply ic_engr,

probably i should try with a startup circuit as well.

thanks
vamshi

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.