The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 24th, 2024, 10:51pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
analog rails (Read 15754 times)
Dan Clement
Community Member

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
analog rails
Feb 09th, 2010, 8:33pm

Anyone else hear of analog rails eda tools?

I'm curious how well the tools work and if they are used in industry.

www.analograils.com

-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Re: analog rails
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2010, 12:36pm

One of my colleague visit their booth. The functionality of the tools was impressive but only focused on CMOS. Nice is that they develop a fork on GNUCap which is useful for distributed sims.

Drawbacks:

1. Licence      Monthly $99,000 (USD) !!! or Annually      $89,000 (USD - 10 Seats Minimum)

We joke if that is the rent for the company Wink

2. No foundry support. Only useable for companies which could made there own designkit.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2010, 8:43pm

Mein Gott!  Das ist sehr teur!

Wow, that tool better be really good...

Thanks for the reply Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog_Rails

Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2010, 10:25pm

"No foundry support. Only useable for companies which could made there own designkit." ... Nonsense. Just the opposite. We supply working text based PDK's free of charge. We believe the support comes with the tools. Where did you come up with this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog_Rails

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2010, 10:29pm

...and we support all devices.

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2010, 5:00am

Welcome Analog_Rails.

Your product looks very interesting but I'm guessing you meet some significant resistance from Cadence and Mentor users.  People are afraid of "new" things sometimes.

How many companies are using your EDA tools now?  Do you know how many designs have shipped?  I'm very curious how the industry will respond to such a new flow.

Also, I think it's cool you guys are mostly developers, refreshing.

-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog_Rails

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2010, 7:14am

Hi Dan

We have just begun the sales process. We have 6 circuit dseigners designing various topologies with the product (switchcap and continuous time circuits) to make sure that we handle all situations. First you build the product, then you sell it. We believe the product is ready to sell starting this month, and we are now meeting with customers. We differ from other EDA companies because we are engineering driven. No marketing people at the company. We believe the best technology will win, and we think we have Cadence beat by a mile. Better schematic <=> layout integration (OA based too). Better routing, better placing, better parasitic extraction, and certainly more integrated and easier to use (push button). The users (circuit designers) like it. People who need the skill language or customize PDK's to secure their jobs don't like us so much.

On the simulation front, Hspice and other simulators are integrated in, and we are actively helping gnucap, which is a free simulator. Our layouts are simulation aware and visa versa. We rely on having all the pieces work together

Cliff

View Profile   IP Logged
Dan Clement
Community Member

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2010, 7:46pm

Nice talking with you and Nick today.

I'm looking forward to watching you guys roll this thing out.

Could be revolutionary!

-Dan

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2010, 2:55am

Quote:
People who need the skill language or customize PDK's to secure their jobs don't like us so much.

Customization is needed because you need to design at least for a specific process. Foundries or tool supplier are in the best position to make this customization but often there is only one tool supported from the foundry and no process supported from the tool vendor. There are exceptions at some of your competitors. But to my understanding of 18 years using the mainstream tool but take a look at all alternatives is the foundry dependence which overlooked.

"The tool works great, really everyone will love it and we will be more productive... but I have to setup all process devices, attributes and checks....and if something goes wrong in my check rules I am liable for the delay and mask ruin"

There are approaches to overcome the tool-process lock situation. But not because the foundries like to open the door for new tool vendors but they are so big that they have to support more than one tool vendor. The key is now to use a more tool independend description to allow a genericPDK. Ironically that is in focus for 65nm and below but a generic process description is much easier for 90nm and above CMOS and BiCMOS. There is a further traction from the designer side to look for a process independ design flow where only late in the design process a mapping to a specific process or process comparison is made. That would also profit from a genericPDK approach.

It will be interessting to see vendor offers which does not point to the tool themselve but to the hole design process.

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog_Rails

Reply #9 - Mar 11th, 2010, 4:16am

Hi Reiner

Once again, we have our own PDK team that supports every process that we can get our hands on. We would prefer to handle the PDK's rather than risk letting a CAD group screw up and make our tool look bad because they made a mistake. We sometimes increase some sizes to allow the designs to accommodate different foundries at the same feature sizes.

Cliff

View Profile   IP Logged
rf-design

Reiner Franke

Germany
Reply #10 - Mar 11th, 2010, 4:48am

Hi Cliff,

so PDK generation is a service from Analog Rails. That put again the question of liability on the table.

In 1993 I had to setup a flow for composer, virtuoso and diva. The process foundry supported edge and dracula. So both are from the early cadence. But analysing both tool collections, both from cadence, I end up starting everythink from scratch. There was the famous drac2diva but you have to manually rewrite everything because only 90% was automatic translated, and that in a terriable way.

The problem with a tool-locked PDKs is that some tool-functionality is used which is not supplied by other tools. A very good example is the ivpcell verification. Here a parametric cell is verified not based on geometric layer properties but on the numeric layout generator properties themselve. Some PDK's support both because of calibre,diva and assura. But in this case they limit to what could be checked on both methods.

I did not checked the IPL guide but if the foundry restrict themselve to the physical support there is an open way for any improvement which is based on special tool features and not on specfic foundry support.

For instance modelling and verification of layout compositions based on the principal physical devices avaible should be outside the foundry. How I use multifinger-MOS and model the parasitic inductance, the distributed body substrate, the overrouting parasitic cap to gate finger coupling and so on, is design specific.

Do plan Analog Rails to join IPL? (In addition to the service model)

http://blog.shrinkingviolence.com/2010/02/IPL-design-kit-release.html#more

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog_Rails

Reply #11 - Mar 11th, 2010, 5:35am

Do you understand what OA is? We work in OA. Run Calibre, who is stopping you. Inductance effects on multi-finger fets? Do you think the L di/dt dominates over tha capacitive effect in that situation? Don't BS me.

We handle the real AD, AS, PD, PS, SA, SB, SC on the fly and give you full C and selected need RC IMMEDIATELY. Don't you understand that you are NOT getting the real parasitics now. Does your PDK handle the effects created by actual layout? Are you aware that the current can be off by 20% at 65n just by the LOD?

FYI: We will be handling Tlines in our next rev. You get that now from Cadence? Do we plan on joining IPL? Why would we? Our PCELLS will automatically make perfect common centroid structures by just hitting "=" and both devices in the layout. Our differential routes are shielded.

Our first name is "Analog". Don't think for a minute that we aren't accurate.

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog_Rails

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2010, 5:54am

Here is an example: You can do your entire pileline ADC in less than 1 day.

Set your cap size (sqrt KT/C), set your switch size for settling time, optimize your amplifier.

http://www.analograils.com/videos/demos/optimizer-demonstration

Run the autoplacer (yes, we handle analog switches. Ask your friend who attended our demo), adjust the devices if you like, autoroute (15 minutes), then run your simulations with the REAL layout.

If you want, you can always take the OA database that you created THAT DAY and send out your layout to a low labor place (who will probably steal your IP) and get the "sanctioned inaccurate cells with BS callbacks" to ease your mind for your final layout assembly on our tool or Cadence.

View Profile   IP Logged
Analog_Rails

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2010, 6:19am

Reiner

Do you do your own layouts or do you throw them over the wall (be honest...your co-workers are watching)?

Since YOU brought up the alleged inductance effects on the small signal IC (interfinger inductance effects), how do you handle long RF routes in Cadence? Do you throw those layouts over the wall? Do you use an EM solver or transmission lines?

Please explain your work flow on precision and/or RF circuits

Thanks

Cliff

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.