The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:20pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
spectre ac simulation problem (Read 6642 times)
subgold
Community Member

spectre ac simulation problem
Mar 05th, 2010, 1:45am

hi all,

i have a problem of a simple ac simulation in spectre (cadence version: 5.10.41)

if i sweep the frequency (as default) in ac simulation, and do a parametric analysis by varying a variable (say Vdc), the simulator gives the correct results.

however, if i choose to sweep "Design Variable" on Vdc and check a certain frequency point in ac sim, the result is totally nonsense, except the first sweep point. for example, if i sweep Vdc from 0 to 1V, the results is only correct when Vdc is 0. if i sweep Vdc from 0.1V to 1V, then the result is correct when Vdc=0.1V. the same situation happens, regardless the sweep range, always the first point is the only correct one.

does somebody know the reason and a solution on this?

thank you very much.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: spectre ac simulation problem
Reply #1 - Mar 5th, 2010, 1:57am

Can you post the input.scs (at least the analysis statements and options at the end)?

Also, which exact version of spectre are you using ("spectre -W" will tell you this, as will the output log from spectre)? If you're using spectre from IC5141, that's not advisable as it's very old - spectre has been part of a separate stream, MMSIM (latest version MMSIM72) for the last 5-6 years - it's still in IC5141 for legacy reasons (it's not in IC61X though).

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #2 - Mar 5th, 2010, 2:28am

Andrew Beckett wrote on Mar 5th, 2010, 1:57am:
Can you post the input.scs (at least the analysis statements and options at the end)?

Also, which exact version of spectre are you using ("spectre -W" will tell you this, as will the output log from spectre)? If you're using spectre from IC5141, that's not advisable as it's very old - spectre has been part of a separate stream, MMSIM (latest version MMSIM72) for the last 5-6 years - it's still in IC5141 for legacy reasons (it's not in IC61X though).

Regards,

Andrew.

here is the simulation info:

simulatorOptions options reltol=100e-6 vabstol=1e-6 iabstol=1e-12 \
temp=27.0 tnom=27 homotopy=all limit=delta scalem=1.0 scale=1.0 \
compatible=spice2 gmin=1e-18 rforce=1 maxnotes=5 maxwarns=5 digits=5 \
cols=80 pivrel=1e-3 sensfile="../psf/sens.output" checklimitdest=psf
dcOp dc write="spectre.dc" maxiters=150 maxsteps=10000 annotate=status
dcOpInfo info what=oppoint where=rawfile
ac ac freq=10 param=swing start=0 stop=1 annotate=status
designParamVals info what=parameters where=rawfile
primitives info what=primitives where=rawfile
subckts info what=subckts  where=rawfile
saveOptions options save=allpub

it is IC 5.10.41.500.6. but "spectre -W" tells sub-version 7.1.1.071. what does this mean? Due to certain reasons, i am only allowed to use this version for the current project. so there is no solution for all the problems?

thanks again.

View Profile   IP Logged
pancho_hideboo
Senior Fellow

Real Homeless
Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2010, 2:18am

subgold wrote on Mar 5th, 2010, 2:28am:
ac ac freq=10 param=swing start=0 stop=1 annotate=status

Try to set "restart=yes" like following, although it might be helpless.
Quote:
ac ac freq=10 param=swing start=0 stop=1 annotate=status restart=yes

View Profile WWW Top+Secret Top+Secret   IP Logged
subgold
Community Member

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2010, 10:04am

@andrew:

our eda guys give me some code to enable 64-bit operation with current spectre version. by typing:
spectre -debug3264 -V
i saw some message like:
App name: spectre
App path: /programs/cds/MMSIM62/tools.lnx86/spectre/bin
OS is 64-bit capable.
The user has selected 64-bit operation via the environment variables.

but it still doesn't work.
i am not very familar with these software issues, so maybe i am gonna find another way of simulating the circuit rather than spending more time on manipulating the simulator, but thank you anyway.

@pancho

thanks for your suggestions, but as you expected, it didn't work.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2010, 2:07pm

If the version number is 7.1.1.071 then it's MMSIM71 (Update 1), so fairly recent. You're using it with IC5141 (for the environment).

restart=yes was unlikely to help, because it should restart the DC anytime the DC is impacted by whatever you're sweeping.

Running 64 bit wouldn't help either. Rather oddly that was picking up MMSIM62, which is an earlier version. And all that command does is check that it's going to run in 64 bit mode.

I suspect something strange must be going on - it could well be a problem with the setup, but I think the best bet would be to contact Cadence Customer Support at http://support.cadence.com and then they (we) can investigate in more detail, hopefully with access to your data to take a proper look.

It's not a symptom I've seen, though.

Regards,

Andrew.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2010, 7:06am

Another question might be: how are you viewing your output?  Could it be that the waveform viewer doesn't understand a single-frequency ac sweep?

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.