The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:24am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Significance of .cdsinit file (Read 5477 times)
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Significance of .cdsinit file
Mar 21st, 2010, 3:31am

What is the significance of .cdsinit file for using cadence dfii tool suite ? Sould this file be present in invoking directory of home directory ?
What kind of error do we see if this file is not present in the invoking directory ?

-Thanks
CA

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Re: Significance of .cdsinit file
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2010, 3:39am

The .cdsinit file is used for loading any custom SKILL code, or preferences. By default (without doing anything else) it looks for it first in the Cadence IC installation (in <ICinstDir>/tools/dfII/local), then the current dir, then the home dir. As soon as a file is found, that is loaded, and the search stops. However, often people customize the .cdsinit to carry on searching for additional .cdsinit files.

Also, with IC61X, you can use the "Cadence Search File" mechanism to search for .cdsinit in other places.

Sometimes it is used to load necessary code for a third-party simulator, or for a design kit, or for many other purposes. You don't necessarily need one, but in some environments it will be absolutely necessary - it depends on what customization is needed in your environment.

It's virtually impossible to know what the impact of not having it is, without knowing what the expected setup in your environment is.

I'm pretty certain this is covered in the Design Framework Configuration Guide (I think that's what the manual is called) in the documentation. I'd have a good search and read through the documentation if I was you.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2010, 4:38am

Thanks for your kind response. Was really useful. My problem is following.

We are trying to simulate a schematic through ADE using spectre simulator.  When we perform netlist and run on the schematic it gives some error
"problems faced during simulations see output log file for more detail"
Whereas output log is not enabled at all in ADE.

I suspect this is due .cdsinit file is not kept any of the three locations mentioned by you. Am I correct ?

This schematic is working fine on some other machine and other user's login. In that person's login .cdsinit file contains following line.
envSetVal( "asimenv.startup" "simulator" 'string "spectre" )
What does this line mean?

Thanks
-CA

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2010, 8:21am

CA,

No, most likely it's because there is some shared library not installed on the machine you're trying to run on, and spectre is failing to start.

Best way to check this is to go to the netlist directory, and look for the "runSimulation" script. Try running that by hand in a UNIX terminal, and seeing how it fails - that will most likely give you the explanation.

You may also want to run "checkSysConf" to find what patches are missing on the machine in question.

The envSetVal() call merely sets spectre to be the default simulator in ADE, which it is by default anyway, so in practice it's probably not doing anything (unless you have some site wide default to set it to something else). Either way, it won't affect this.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2010, 9:22pm

Thanks a lot. That was useful. We could solve the problem.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.