The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 18th, 2024, 5:19am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise in Complex filters (Read 11204 times)
Megh

Noise in Complex filters
Mar 29th, 2010, 10:06pm

Cadence recommends following way to do the noise simulation in Complex filters: -

According to principle of superposition noise can be calculated as follows:
1. Calculate output noise (V**2/Hz) when only portI is active:
- at Iout: Ioutn_I(f);
- at Qout: Qoutn_I(f).
2. Now calculate output noise (V**2/Hz) when only portQ is active:
- at Iout: Ioutn_Q(f);
- at Qout: Qoutn_Qf).

Now you can calculate the total otput noise (V**2/Hz) at both outputs:
Ioutn(f) = Ioutn_I(f) + Ioutn_Q(f);
Qoutn(f) = Qoutn_I(f) + Qoutn_Q(f);
Megh

View Profile   IP Logged
ray_wang

Shanghai
Re: Noise in Complex filters
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2010, 6:40pm

Obviously cadence does not support complex filter simulation well. What I did is to plot output noise, plot gain(from I input to I output), both with two ports active. And VNIN=VNOUT/gain*sqrt(2). Here, sqrt(2) is the summed noise from IQ channels.

I don't use that "VNIN" direct plot. It is wrong. I guess it might be that spectre does not know how to calculate correctly the gain of a complex filter. That's why I said cadence does not support complex filter simulation well.

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2010, 9:48am

I'm probably misunderstanding something here. In order to calculate the noise at the output of a circuit, you don't need input ports to be "active" - so I'm not sure what you're actually doing here.

Please make clear:

a) what analysis you're running
b) what the circuit setup is in each.

Noise analyses compute the output noise, and then functions like input-referred noise are derived from that - they can only be referred back to a single input (what does it mean that have it referred to two inputs at different phases?).

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but if I don't understand what you're trying to do, then the chances are others don't either, and so you may be limiting your opportunity to get a useful answer.

Regards,

Andrew.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ray_wang

Shanghai
Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2010, 6:40pm

VNIN=VNOUT/gain. I think, for spectre output, VNOUT is correct and VNIN is incorrect because of incorrect gain computation (in this complex filter case), so I use AC magnitude as gain instead to calculate VNIN.
I think the proper AC magnitude for Iin or Qin is 1/sqrt(2), then AC magnitude for Iout is exactly the gain for IQ channel VNIN compuation.
If you use 1 as AC magnitude for Iin or Qin, AC magnitude for Iout is the gain we are normally referrring to from Iin to Iout, but VNOUT/Iout is just one channel VNIN. For IQ channels VNIN, we need to multiply VNOUT/Iout by sqrt(2)

View Profile   IP Logged
Megh

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2010, 10:22pm

Dear Ray/Andrew,
Thanks for replying. Sorry if I sounded confusing.
Actually my problem has been articulated correctly by Ray in his latest reply.
Here is the situation
I have created a complex filter using 2 low pass filters (active RC: Ideal components). Both low pass filters have gain of 0dB. I run a noise analysis with ac source at I input and zero at the Q input. I get output referred noise at I output. Now when I see input referred noise from spectre it is actually double that of output referred noise. The thing that is confusing me is why it is double even though my gain is 0dB.
@Ray
You are right that VNin using direct plot is wrong in Cadence.
What I did is to plot output noise, plot gain(from I input to I output), both with two ports active. And VNIN=VNOUT/gain*sqrt(2). Here, sqrt(2) is the summed noise from IQ channels.
You can specify only one input port in noise analysis. How did you plot output noise with both inputs?
Here is what I have understood from your reply (Please correct me if I am wrong).
1) Put AC source on both inputs I and Q (90 deg phase apart).
2) For noise analysis specify I input as the input source.
3) Calculate output referred noise at I output. (VNoutI)
4) Calculate gain Iout/Iin (Gain_I_I)
5) Calculate Total input referred noise for complex filter is given by (VNoutI/(Gain_I_I))*sqrt(2)

If this is correct can you please elaborate a bit on sqrt 2 part?

Thanks a lot guys for your time.
Megh

« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2010, 12:27am by Megh »  
View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #5 - Apr 13th, 2010, 2:23am

Megh,

When you specify the input port for noise analysis, it does not affect the output noise in any way. It is only used to compute metrics such as input referred noise and noise figure, so that they can compute the gain between that input port or source and the output.

You can even set the input port/source to "none" and the output noise will remain the same.

In your case, because the input is not a single source, you cannot use this method to compute the input referred noise. So instead, you need to compute the output noise as normal (and it doesn't matter what you specify for the input port/source - you could set it to none), and then divide by your computed AC gain.

Note that specifying the AC magnitude on a source is not used in noise analysis - it is only used in AC analysis.

So, compute the AC gain by specifying an appropriate AC magnitude and phase on the I and Q sources, and then measure the signal level at the output - from this you can find the AC gain (sounds as if this is what you're already doing). Then knowing that, you can divide the output noise by this gain, to give you the input referred noise that you're after.

Regards,

Andrew.

ray_wang

Shanghai
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2010, 11:25pm

Megh, I agree with what Andrew said, the input port you specify in noise analysis affects not VNOUT but VNIN.
I believe VNOUT is always there no matter what port you specify and the port you specify determines VNIN and NF, so you don't need to care about that.

If the input is Z=VI+jVQ, with added noise, the total input becomes Z+ZN=VI+VIN+jVQ+jVQN. If you take VI+jVQ as signal magnitude, the noise magnitude is sqrt(VIN^2+VQN^2)=sqrt(2)*VIN.

Regards
Ray

View Profile   IP Logged
Megh

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2010, 11:53pm

I completely agree.
So now just to summarize the procedure : -
1) calculate the VNout_I
2) Have input as VI+jVQ.
3) Calculate gain Gain_I_I= Vout_I/VI
4) Total input referred noise for I side VNI= VNout_I/Gain_I_I
5) Total input referred noise for complete Complex filter VN_complex=VNI * sqrt(2)

I hope now I have got it correct Smiley Smiley. Please let me know if I have missed anything
Thanks a lot to both of you

View Profile   IP Logged
Megh

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2010, 2:49am

Dear Andrew/Ray,
Just want to add little more confusion here. Smiley
When a tool like Cadence reports a noise does it take in to account negative frequencies? Basically my question is does the tool assume the waveform as Double Side Band and report total noise as Noise = 2* SSB noise ?
Now if this is the case then we need to divide our answer for noise by 2 as this is a polyphase filter case which has only positive frequencies.
Please respond.
Thanks
Megh

View Profile   IP Logged
Andrew Beckett
Senior Fellow

Life, don't talk to
me about Life...

Bracknell, UK
Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2010, 7:57am

Are you now asking about pnoise analysis rather than noise? With noise (rather than pnoise) there is no frequency translation; the input and output frequencies are the same. With pnoise, you get the noise contributions from all the specified sidebands (some of which may be negative frequencies - so you get both lower and upper sidebands).

Regards,

Andrew.

Megh

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2010, 10:59pm

Andrew,
I am asking for noise simulation (not pnoise).
1) When we get the noise spectral density in real system is it combination of spectral densities at both  (positive and negative) frequencies?
2) In real system frequency response is symmetric about DC unlike complex system.
So how does this affect the noise numbers reported by noise analysis.

View Profile   IP Logged
ray_wang

Shanghai
Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2010, 12:58am

Megh,
  I think the noise spectral density is the combination as you mentioned. Since noise is random, a sign indicating whether it is "positive" or "negative" is quite unnecessary. So all noise TF should be symmetrical with f=0. I don't think we need to divide by 2.
  I especially compared the output noise of CPF with that of LPF. They're almost the same. So I think for noise, the CPF looks almost like two seperate LPFs, except for the "coupling things" to adjust fc.

Ray

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #12 - Apr 30th, 2010, 5:07am

If the noise from a single resistor is 4 k T R, then it's 2*SSB noise, and you would need to divide by 2 for your complex filter.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
salty

Austin, Tx
Reply #13 - May 13th, 2010, 10:27am

I have though about this as well for filters and mixers.
If you are receiving a SSB signal for a LIF rcvr, then using spectre to get the noise from a single real channel overestimates the noise by 3dB.  Reason is that it folds in USB and LSB noise.
If you have a DSB signal in a ZIF rcvr, then the noise from a single real channel is correct for the whole quadrature channel.

Since adding complex signals, sqrt(I^2 + Q^2) increasese at the same rate as the noise: sqrt(NI^2 + NQ^2).

It seems to me that the sqrt(2) is more of a SSB vs DSB issue.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.