The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 18th, 2024, 6:39pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Difference Between Simulations and Silicon (Read 5609 times)
cmos.analogvala
Community Member

India
Difference Between Simulations and Silicon
May 17th, 2010, 10:06pm

Hi all,
I was just wondering how often Silicon results are different from predicted in all PVT corners.  I have following line of thoughts on this.  Please comment.

1.  Sometimes even if the circuit is verified in all PVT corners but still doesn't work on Si even for an established process.  Why so ?  Is it like I-V or C-V of devices  are not modeled perfectly in some regions ? Is it because some side effects of switching of multiple transistors, substrate noise, latch up etc  are not captured in post RCX simulations?  

2.  When do we need to go for montecarlo analysis and when can we consider PVT simulations with four digital process corner sufficient to expect working Si ?

3.  What it the motivation behind keeping Si proof of the design mandatory, for research papers in good conferences?  Working of idea can be well proven  simulations itself. Then why so much of importance is given to Si proof?

-CA

View Profile   IP Logged
PaloAlto

Re: Difference Between Simulations and Silicon
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2010, 2:21am

I have had silicon performance deviations in mixed signal chips due to substrate noise

Moreover, I have had functional deviations that didn't show up in PVT corners nor in montecarlo mismatch analysis and I don't really know yet why. I think it was a kind of startup issue in a low-gain loop that wouldn't have enough gain to settle. I could see in the 3 sigma mismatch corner that the gain was getting too low but in simulation was still working. At the end I slightly increased the gain in worst case and got functional silicon.

View Profile   IP Logged
weber8722
Community Member

Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2011, 7:19am

When I visited a Chinese university, a PhD candidate asked a similar question: How much margin is needed that the circuit really works in reality??

They made a IR remote control IC having a 38kHz bandpass filter internally. It was a gmC filter, and they assumed to treat RC tolerances a trim range of +-50% is enough. However the chips come back with even much larger variations in center frequency. So they switched away from the Chinese foundry, but also the 2nd fab gave similar variations.

In another French design for a temp sensor the accuracy was something like +-2°C vs PVT corners, but the real devices varied by +-50°C!!

In my own 1st RF PA design the Pout was too low. I we turned on the RF, the bandgap voltage goes down by 30%, resulting in too low bias current. The reason was that the big Miller cap bottom side plate picked up the substrate noise, and was rectified internally.

Both shows that PVT analysis is by far not enough, also do this:

- Look also at mixed corners, like SF, FS or bigCsmallRslowMOS!
- Check each factor separately for best understanding
- Do MC run with process variations
- Do MC run with mismatch variations (that was missing for the both mentioned design examples!!)
- Run parasitic extraction carefully (i.e. having decoupled mode is often much too ideal). RF designs need often also L extraction.
- Include package, maybe even a little substrate model (a simple model is better than nothing)
- Combine all the worst-cases
- Plan for debugging!!!

And do not pamper your design Cool: If you want T=-25...100°C, better do a much larger sweep and try to understand why the circuit fails in certain situations, then improve further and implement backup solutions, such as trimmings.

Bye Stephan

View Profile   IP Logged
raja.cedt
Senior Fellow

Germany
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2011, 8:58am

hello,
How good your models and how accurate your extraction? are you extracting proper netlist like rcc or rc some time @mmwave range may be L has be extracted. I donno about substrate noise but i had good experiance below 10G and things match well.

Thanks,
Raj.

View Profile WWW raja.sekhar86   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2011, 7:12pm

Totally depends on how good your model is.

Give this a read:

http://effectiveelectrons.com/whitepapers/simulationvssilicon.pdf

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.