The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Mar 19th, 2024, 4:55am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verilog-A speed in Spectre (Read 2038 times)
omar

Verilog-A speed in Spectre
May 21st, 2010, 11:27am

Hi,

I implemented a compact model of a transistor as a Verilog-A block in Spectre.  I then simulated two identical circuits in Spectre.  One circuit  used the BSIM model for the transistors, which is built into Spectre, and the other used the compact Verilog-A blocks for the transistors.  The circuit with the  Verilog-A blocks as transistors was about 2x slower than the BSIM circuit.  What is the reason for this speed difference?  I think that the compact transistor model I implemented is much simpler than the BSIM.  Is there any way to make the Verilog-A circuit run faster?

Thanks

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Re: Verilog-A speed in Spectre
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2010, 8:07am

What version of Spectre are you running?  Can you get the latest?

How well coded is your Verilog-A model?  Have you been sure to make your currents and charges continuous in a few derivatives?

Compare the information from the simulator on the number of timepoints in the two cases.  I don't recall if Spectre gives you the number of iterations, but ideally you could compare both and make sure that your VA model isn't taking too many timepoints or too many iterations, either of which indicates a poorly-written model.

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
omar

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2010, 3:06pm

I should be able to get the latest version of Spectre.  I'm not sure how well written the code is.  I believe all derivatives are continuous.  Are there any resources which help with writing the code better?

View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - May 26th, 2010, 4:45am

If at first you do succeed, STOP, raise your standards, and stop wasting your time.
Yuval

Plano, TX
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2010, 7:28am

omar wrote on May 25th, 2010, 3:06pm:
I should be able to get the latest version of Spectre.  I'm not sure how well written the code is.  I believe all derivatives are continuous.  Are there any resources which help with writing the code better?

Omar,

I recently started working on a verilogA Bsim3v3 model (I'm still in early stages since verilogA is new to me), can you share your model? I'll try to work on it with you and hopefully help improve it.
I have access to all Cadence tools and latest Spectre version (amongst other tools).

BTW, Geoffrey article is great place to start... Thanks

Best regards,

Yuval Shay
STMicroelectronics Inc.
View Profile   IP Logged
Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2010, 8:36am

Silvaco has a BSIM3v3 Verilog-A code available on their downloads site.  I think you still have to create a login, but they recently updated their license agreement for Verilog-A models to differentiate these models from their own proprietary software.  You might want to check what they've got and see if it suits your purpose.

Geoffrey_Coram
Senior Fellow

Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 2nd, 2014, 2:43pm

Note: it appears that the web site www.bmas-conf.org is no longer that for the Behavioral Modeling and Simulation workshops.

Ken Kundert
Global Moderator

Silicon Valley
Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2014, 11:49pm

The BMAS archives have been moved here.

-Ken

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.