The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Jul 17th, 2024, 12:27pm
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise (Read 2835 times)
brenox

Brazil
Noise
May 27th, 2010, 3:28pm

I'm trying to insert a white noise in a LNA description but it is always null.

Here is the way I'm trying to insert the noise:

V(Noise) <+ white_noise(4*$temperature, "white noise");

Or something else with many other variations: constants, variables, etc, in the white_noise command.

The value when I simulate is always zero. Someone could help me generating an white noise?

View Profile   IP Logged
patrick

Santa Rosa, CA.
Re: Noise
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2010, 4:22pm

Maybe it's the analysis type you are using? You will only see the noise contribution in small signal analyses, see LRM 2.3 page 81.

View Profile   IP Logged
Peruzzi
Community Member

Reply #2 - May 27th, 2010, 7:00pm

Hello Brenox,
Are you trying to add noise to a Verilog-AMS model for transient simulations?  If so, you can create a noise generator model to inject voltage or current noise in a model.  Doing so is quite useful for exploring noise propagation in nonlinear systems such as RF mixers, switched-capacitor filters or delta-sigma A/D converters.

The key is to create a pseudo-random stream of real numbers at a sample rate much higher (about 20x higher) than the maximum frequency of interest.  You may then filter that stream as desired, then scale and assign it to a voltage or current.

You may contact me directly for more details or clarification.

Cheers,

Bob Peruzzi
www.RPeruzzi.com

View Profile   IP Logged
David Lee

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2010, 5:02pm

Hi Brenox,

To turn on white noise in Verilog-A in a transient simulation, use BDA's Analog FastSPICE Transient Noise. All you need is to add the noisefmax parameter to the regular transient analysis statement. Transient noise and AC noise should match above the SPICE noise floor.

- David
View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.