The Designer's Guide Community
Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register. Please follow the Forum guidelines.
Apr 25th, 2024, 8:06am
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Graduate school for PhD in USA (Read 15769 times)
BackerShu
Community Member

Graduate school for PhD in USA
Jul 26th, 2010, 10:01pm

Hello, guys!

Would you please to recommendate some gratudate schools in which it is worth pusuiting a PhD degree in IC design area in USA?

Thank you in advance.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
AnalogDE

Re: Graduate school for PhD in USA
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2010, 9:46am

You're better off looking for specific professors who are doing research in the areas you're interested in rather than choosing specific schools.

View Profile   IP Logged
RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2010, 6:10pm

You must ask yourself "why" do you want a PhD in circuit design.

If your ultimate goal is to get a good opportunity with a leading IC design company then your choices are

1. Earn a MSEE at a reputable school in IC design.

2. Earn a Ph.D. under a renowned professor in IC design (preferably a professor whose specialty matches your talents and whose students are hired by the companies you are ultimately interested in working for).

The MSEE route has the benefit of providing you with valuable industry experience (time you would have spent on the Ph.D.).

The Ph.D. route may help you with initially getting hired at some companies, but there may be other companies who prefer great MSEE students over a good Ph.D. for new hires. Every company is different in this regard.

If your goal is to design circuits then a Ph.D. is not mandatory and not necessarily a big benefit in comparison to the industry experience, but it could help if your goal is to gain deep understanding in a very narrow field.

I guess I'm trying to say that a Ph.D. does not guarantee that you will be a great circuit designer. A great circuit designer can get a great job without a Ph.D., but a great circuit designer with a Ph.D. will potentially have greater opportunities to work at specific companies of interest.

One suggestion is to look at academic papers on designs that interest you in IEEE JSSC and see where these Ph.D. students went to work and who their adviser was. Most professors have a list of past Ph.D. students and where they ended up after graduation on their website.

Good luck.

View Profile   IP Logged
BackerShu
Community Member

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2010, 3:49am

to AnalogDE:
Thank you for your reply. I agree with you and actually I search potential professors in this criteria.
I ask you guys for advice to see if I have negelect some potential ones.

to RFICDUDE:
Thank you very  much for your advice both on motivation to pursuit a Ph.D. degree and how to select a professor.
Briefly speaking, my first goal is indeed a good opportunity with a leading IC design company. I want a Ph.D. in the following three reasons.

1. So far as I know, Ph.D.s often have greater oppotunity to be  a member in leading IC design company. Moreover they do higher-level jobs at firms.

2. I want to do some new is this area. Although firms are the place that you can do new things, schools is considered to be a better place. Even if there might be many failures before the ultimate success comes, the penalizations at school would be much cheaper.

3. This one my be a little utilitarian. I consider that , after some years in industry,  I may take an occupation in a university, just as many professors do today. In this sense, a Ph.D. degree would be necessary.

I know these might be immature. Any comments from you and other guys are appreciated.

RFICDUDE
Community Fellow

Reply #4 - Aug 1st, 2010, 3:17pm

I was hoping others would offer their opinions.

1. Generally a good circuits Ph.D. may have more opportunities (maybe), but keep in mind that there are far fewer Ph.D. applicants than MSEE applicants. So, part of the equation is the limited availability of good Ph.D. candidates while the biggest part of it is the perception that a good Ph.D. can hit the ground running on a project.

Again, you have to ask, what have I given up in perusing a Ph.D. Mostly, a couple of years of good industry experience.

2. Doing something new in circuits is very difficult because it depends on what "new" means. Something truly new, original and beneficial is rare in an industrial industry, but it does happen. More often that not there is significant incremental progress made in circuit architectures or application of newly available technologies. There are also architectural advancements which don't use new circuits, but they do solve bigger problems.

I also find that when someone does do something significantly novel, they usually do not explain (clearly) the broad fundamental implications of their discovery. To me, something is new if it adds to our fundamental understanding of how circuits work and can be applied in better ways to more problems (yeah my bar is kind of high).

Although, I place equal appreciation when someone understands the workings of a problem, explains the fundamental factors and demonstrates the clear tradeoffs.

Anyway, your choice in adviser has a big influence on whether you pursue something new and risky or incremental progression.

Oh yes, when it comes to publishing (which you need to do to graduate) keep in mind that you are also competing with industry design teams with many more years of experience, virtually unlimited funding (for the task), and a 6-9 month schedule. Again, your advisor's knowledge of what to do next is very important.

3. I have mixed feelings on this one. You better do a lot of homework on finding out as much as you can about "what do professors do as a career" and "what does it take to get tenure" before you consider this career options. Yes, several well known professors have made the transition from industry to academia at well known universities. But you have to understand that the funding for circuits research is limited and there is lots of competition for funding that is available.

If you don't care about tenure and you just want to have a teaching appointment then the stress of academia is less, but then you might not have a job later down the road.

Anyway, you should spend some of your time, as a Ph.D. student, asking other professors about how they spend their time on the job.

From what I have seen, it is as much work as a startup company with no hope of a payoff.

Educate yourself.

View Profile   IP Logged
Lex

Eindhoven, Holland
Reply #5 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 2:41am

I can only underline what RFICDUDE wrote down.

A couple of years back in my final year at university, I found myself in the position: do I want a PhD, or do I want 4 years of industry experience.

When I looked at PhD students at my university, they really looked miserable and if you would ask them like what project are you on, they refused to tell anything. From some I received some feedback, and I realized the professor was just using them for cheap labor. Not really innovative or anything. Of course they tried to make it sound special. And then there is the politics of universities. Large bureaucratic systems. Either you like it, or not.

So anyhow, I started my career in industry, and I was amazed with the knowledge there. I feel that I've learnt and seen more than that I would as a PhD. After a few years I got to tutor even a newly hired PhD. What an irony Cheesy

So you have to ask yourself, what is the PhD title worth to you?

View Profile   IP Logged
oermens
Community Member

Reply #6 - Aug 3rd, 2010, 9:35am

To those who didn't pursue a PhD, how was your job search experience? Did you have a lot of papers or fabrications during your masters? I'm going to be graduating with an MSEE this term (2 conf papers and 2 fabs) and the majority of postings I've seen are looking for either PhD's or senior engineers with 10+ years which has me a bit concerned. One of my colleagues was turned down by AMD for a layout engineer job because they wanted industry experience, which I found surprising for such a position.

View Profile   IP Logged
rajdeep

UK
Reply #7 - Sep 21st, 2010, 9:20am

This could be bit late...but this is a famous question :-D

I think its very personal choice, but I would still like (cant control myself in getting involved in this) to make some general comment. You said ckt design, I think that means analog ckt design. Coz digital ckt design happens at a much higher level of abstraction. Anyway...

Analog Ckt design is still done best in industry, if you consider 'best' to be what eventually works without any hidden weaknesses! But as already pointed out something grand new rarely happens! Its almost in all cases some tweaking to previous designs to obtain something new. But you get to work on which 'works' in Silicon. No fuss! Since a company is a business unit, its driven by business requirement. If a company can make millions of dollar by selling same product years after year they will do that (similar to EDA industry)! But thankfully that doesnt happen, there is always competition to come up with a better chip. Now better could mean a lot of things -- cheaper per functionality, better spec, more compatible with the end-customer. The last point really determines a lot many projects to be killed, simply because the customer company doesnt want to change their board :-O
In these cases even a better spec design may not win the business!! But since some smart customers like to change, chip design companies also need to come up with better soln. So broadly in any such company there are 2 design grps -- i) product line & ii) futuristic design grp. Most of us land in the former as this is the grp that keep the money flowing for the company, where the 2nd grp mostly investigates on future trends (many say they waste the money the former earns Wink ). For the 1st one you dont need a PhD. You need to understand circuits. You learn a lot initially to understand the design flow (if you are in digital grp, thats the heart of the whole thing), you work on real ckts, and different ckts teach you abt working principle of different ckts. This is nice! But to enter the latter grp you need to have specific knowledge on something. You will be hired mostly for some strategic reason --- in other words you better have a PhD or have good work exp on that specific topic.

One more thing, if you enter the first grp after doing a PhD, you may see a lower-degree person is mentoring you, as doing a PhD on some specific ckt doesnt make u an immediate pro in all the kinds of ckt that this grp is involved in designing.
One needs to understand simulation tools as well, I have seen good ckt designers struggle with simulation tools and mangers dont like that :-D Your qualification and enormous knowledge on something (which u gathered during ur phd) may not rescue from this day-to-day stuff.

I generally wud suggest to spend some time in product line in the beginning to understand your interest, because more often than not, we dont know what we want. I am saying this more, because the question you asked itself reflects this uncertainty. But if you are more interested in obtaining the degree then go ahead, as things get a bit tougher in later stages...and you may lose the motivation!

cheers!
Rajdeep

Design is fun, verification is a requirement.
View Profile   IP Logged
George Robinson

Reply #8 - Dec 20th, 2010, 10:40pm

Its better to seek advices from the experts you know well. And also try to get in touch with some students who had degree in respective institutions.

View Profile   IP Logged
loose-electron
Senior Fellow

Best Design Tool =
Capable Designers

San Diego California
Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2011, 6:24pm

If you ever want to teach at the university level, stick it out and finish the PhD, otherwise industry experience is generally more valuable as a designer.

Jerry Twomey
www.effectiveelectrons.com
Read My Electronic Design Column Here
Contract IC-PCB-System Design - Analog, Mixed Signal, RF & Medical
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Copyright 2002-2024 Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. Designer’s Guide® is a registered trademark of Designer’s Guide Consulting, Inc. All rights reserved. Send comments or questions to editor@designers-guide.org. Consider submitting a paper or model.